question about California boards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rutpharm

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is compounding on the California boards? I've heard rumors that it is a written section. If compounding is part of the CA boards how do you plan to study for it? Thanks a million

Members don't see this ad.

I can't answer your question about how to study for it because I'm only starting my 2nd year (of 3) but...

Check out the CABOP exam application:

http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/pdfs2/rph_app_pkt2.pdf

There is a detailed breakdown, and on page 7, it's listed as one of the multiple choice topics.

I'm almost sure that it would involve it somehow, but again, I don't have a concrete answer. Love those essays!! Seems difficult to objectively grade them, but who am I to talk..

Jd

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for all the information so far, it seems the compounding section is pretty basic hopefully

Compounding on CA boards: Definitely.

Its basic stuff though. How much HC powder to make 30g 10% ointment. Most likely will give you a prescription and you have to describe how to make it.

Don't you guys have access to morris cody study books? If you're going retail most chains will pay for your class, otherwise get them from someone who took it the year before. There's a whole section on compounding questions that helped me immensely. I can't remember the specifics of what they wanted, but it was all pretty basic stuff. There was one abbreviation that I had never seen before in pharm school, but it was in the morris cody book and ended up being on the boards. *phew*

thanks for all the help so far, where do i get the morris cody books? are they specific for the california boards?

The Morris Cody website: http://www.morriscody.com/

It's $1600 for the California course (unless, as Gravy suggested, you get a retail chain employer to pay for it). They give you self-study material with the option of attending their weekly classes, although they highly recommend you take their intensive review (which lasts 2 weeks) prior to your exam. Of course, just like "leaching" study material off someone who shelled out the money for one of those MCAT review courses, you can do the same with this by finding someone who took the course before.

Does anyone have any review books from Morris Cody that I can buy from you? Thanks