Question about Canadians

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CaptainPicard

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I see Canadians coming here for pharmacy school... After they get their US PharmD, can they easily go back and practice in Canada?

I ask because if it isn't too hard, I'd like to try working there a year or two so that I could have a chance to explore Yukon.
 
I really don't know what the process is for practising in Canada with an American education/PharmD, but obviously you have to pass the relevant licensing exams....sorry can't really help you there, but I suggest checking out The Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada

http://www.pebc.ca/EnglishPages/General/HomePage.html

But I wonder though, assuming you are an American citizen (and not a Canadian citizen), if you would be able to work here (regardless of your education) easily. Just something else you might want to research.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp
 
I believe you just have to write the same exam all would-be graduating Canadian school pharmacists would write. Its just one exam if I'm not mistaken, one that I hear is made to be very tricky (the questions are not direct; they're like "not not not not" questions).

Canadian schools are now starting to make their programs into PharmD ones so a PharmD from the states won't have much throw in 4-8 years.

You also make 30% less in Canada than in America.

A Bill in the works (Bill C-51) also threatens the pharmaceutical industry, amongst other things, so I'd look out for that.