Question about changing fields

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emma2017

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am an anesthesiologist but have always been interested in emergency medicine. I graduated from a US medical school in 2007 and took step 3 in 2009. I graduated my anesthesiology residency in 2011 from a US ACGME accredited program. I have been an attending for six years and am licensed in two states. I am not board-certified (due to circumstances) and my board eligibility is expiring this year . I would like to apply to an emergency medicine residency that starts in 2018. Would I be an appropriate applicant for an emergency medicine residency given that I graduated medical school in 2007, am not board-certified, and my board eligibility in anesthesiology is expiring this year?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not in EM (or Anesthesia), but you might get a more practical answer if you could describe what you mean by "circumstances". Because I suspect those circumstances are going to be the rate limiting factor in your case.

Reactions: 2 users
Check the SAEM page for open spots.
Funding may be an issue since it's a second residency.
However - you likely will have to justify why you aren't BC in your field.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep, it absolutely depends on the circumstances regarding the board certification. If you don't want to discuss openly in the forums, send me a PM with further details and I can give you a better idea about your likelihood in matching in EM.

In general likelihood is low. You're far removed from primary pediatrics, obstetrics, trauma training. You're possibly a financial difficulty to take on. There is the board certification issue. Anesthesia is certainly more parallel to EM than many other fields, but lots of concerns to take on when the traditional applicant pool is so robust. Chances are low.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile