Question About Cholesterol

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MissionStanford

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Cholesterol has 8 assymetric centers:
http://www.chemguide.co.uk/basicorg/isomerism/cholesterol2.gif

The one labeled 9 isn't an assymetric center.

Anyway, my book says that because there are 8 assymetric centers, there should be 2^8 = 256 different possible stereoisomers.

But there's also 1 double bond, so wouldn't it be 2^9 = 512 possible stereoisomers since we have to account for the two different stereoisomers that are possible based on whether the double bond is cis or trans?

Members don't see this ad.

Look at the double bond and try to draw the cis and trans forms. You won't be able to, because its stereochemistry is locked by the ring.

Cholesterol has 8 assymetric centers:
http://www.chemguide.co.uk/basicorg/isomerism/cholesterol2.gif

The one labeled 9 isn't an assymetric center.

Anyway, my book says that because there are 8 assymetric centers, there should be 2^8 = 256 different possible stereoisomers.

But there's also 1 double bond, so wouldn't it be 2^9 = 512 possible stereoisomers since we have to account for the two different stereoisomers that are possible based on whether the double bond is cis or trans?

C9 has 2 CH3 substituents; therefore, that carbon is achiral (not a stereogenic center).

Last edited:
I'm not sure how you could interchange z/e configuration in a cyclohexene without breaking the intact ring structure. The six atoms about a double bond are all in the same plane, including the vinyl carbons. Still it doesn't make sense to do that. # of possible stereo isomers = 2^n, where n = # of centers of chirality. Keep on the look out for question wording by the way, sometimes it'll be stated as "how many possible pairs of enantiomers"

I'm not sure how you could interchange z/e configuration in a cyclohexene without breaking the intact ring structure. The six atoms about a double bond are all in the same plane, including the vinyl carbons. Still it doesn't make sense to do that. # of possible stereo isomers = 2^n, where n = # of centers of chirality. Keep on the look out for question wording by the way, sometimes it'll be stated as "how many possible pairs of enantiomers"

I deleted the Z...How the heck I typed it? I dont know.