question about choosing a college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

binsbts

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From other threads, I read that it doesn't matter at all what college you attend in terms of admission to medical schools...then why would one choose to go to ivy league instead of a local university where he can easily get a 4.0? I am having this dilemma because I am vacillating between Stanford University and a local university that I live close to. If you were to choose between the two, which one would you choose? I dont have any problem with scholarship issues for either college and I am 99% sure I want to work in a medical field. Thx and Happy new year~!

Members don't see this ad.

Go to Stanford. I really think that having gone to a prestigious undrergrad school has helped me in this med school admissions process. I have heard of so many people with better stats than me get rejected pre-interview from schools that invited me to interview...

Additionally, going to Stanford will allow you to have some amazing connections later in life, whether you choose medicine or not.

go to stanford. my two philosophies: first, education is only partly about content/classes and is also significantly about environment, resources, and relationships. clearly, stanford will outdo most local institutions in the latter dimensions. second... at every level, from preschool on up, you owe it to yourself to choose the best education you can get into and afford.

a comment... i went to stanford. i don't regret my decision at all and am very satisfied with the education i got. however, i wish i had considered smaller, undergrad-oriented liberal arts schools as well. i might or might not have chosen one, but as a high school student i didn't know to think about the differences between a big research university and a smaller college.

out of curiosity: how are you so sure of these 2 choices in mid-january?

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't choose your undergrad college based on which school will help you get into med school. Don't pick Stanford just because it will help you get into med school and don't pick the other school just because you can get a 4.0. Choose your undergrad college based on what resources they have to offer, the student body and faculty you'll be surrounded by for four years, the academic environment, and where you feel like you 'fit' best. If your entire undergrad education is focused on getting into med school, you'll be miserable.

boardchic said:
Don't choose your undergrad college based on which school will help you get into med school. Don't pick Stanford just because it will help you get into med school and don't pick the other school just because you can get a 4.0. Choose your undergrad college based on what resources they have to offer, the student body and faculty you'll be surrounded by for four years, the academic environment, and where you feel like you 'fit' best. If your entire undergrad education is focused on getting into med school, you'll be miserable.

i second that, in addition to my comments above.

Clearly go to the one where you will be happiest, study the best, and feel most motivated to do work.

That said I go to an ivy league school, where I have a high GPA, but not a 4.0. I very much believe that the name has helped me gain interviews. Additionally, I think my success in my coursework may cause there to be less focus on my non-impressive mcat score.

I chose this school because of the people not the academics. At times, I have been disappointed with some elements associated with the school; however, as long as you find somewhere you can be happy and have wonderful friends - you should go there.

To note- my brother went to stanford and loved it ;)

boardchic said:

I think this above post is the best answer. True, if you simply care about getting into med school, you can probably get there from any school if you get great grades and score high on the MCAT. And for many, it will be easier to be summa cum laude at a lower tier (per Barron's) college than at Stanford.
But it's silly to be so focussed at getting into med school even before you start undergrad. Frankly most people who go to college hoping to become a doctor don't make it, or find something else they like better. While the Stanford name may not make a big difference in medical school applications, it may if you go into other fields or graduate schools. The best idea is to go to a school with good resources, take a broad range of courses, and use the time to find out your likes, dislikes, etc. A lot of schools such as Stanford have great reps and prestige because their resources are simply better, their professors more reknown, in addition to having a competitive student body.
I would go to the best school (in terms of resources, quality of academia) you get into, unless cost is a factor, in which case it might make sense to go to the one that gives you the best deal.

Ok Heres the deal: if u know u are capable of doing honors work at a competative institution like stanford than go for it... there are advantages to having a name like that behind your application, however I know brilliant people who went to top noch schools, got 3.2 gpa and now dont stand a chance... I went to a state school, and excelled ended with a 3.67 a gpa that will pass some schools regemented cutoffs, whereas if I went to harvard ( I wouldnt have gotten in anyway) I probably would have struggled with all the cut throat go-getters to compete with, and ended up a PA

My theory is that you should always go to the school where you will be most happy. If you are not happy in college, chances are you won't be very focused. I know somebody who had the same type of dilema and ended up tranfering to the local university where she knew she would be happier. Also, if you go to school locally, you will always have your family close by and you will know your way around.

On the other hand, if you think you will be happier at Stanford, go there. An undergrad degree from Stanford will definitely look good on your resume, but a low GPA won't. Just consider
1) where you will be most happy
2) where you will have the most acedemic opportunities

oh wow thanks for your comments...I have been accepted to the Early Action for Stanford University so I just need to confirm that I will be attending there...I definitely think that I wouldn't be happy at all at the local university here....although I got accepted, I really dont think I am good enough to go to Stanford...but it's my dream school and I will just work hard I guess..Thanks for all your helpful comments~!

Don't assume you'll get a 4.0 at some no name school. Sometimes it's actually easier to get a higher GPA at an Ivy - grade inflation :laugh: