Question About Cleveland Clinic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trevelyan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I interviewed at Cleveland Clinic earlier in the month. As of now they are one of my top two or three choices. I am a little concerned, however, because I sent e-mails to everyone involved in my interview day not long after I interviewed in order to thank them and express my interest, but I did not receive one response back. The chairman of the program at the end of the interview said that I seemed to have all the qualities they were looking for and they would love to have me, but I have not heard back. So I was wondering if anyone knows if Cleveland Clinic just has a policy of not responding to such e-mail messages, or do I have reason to be concerned?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I interviewed at Cleveland Clinic earlier in the month. As of now they are one of my top two or three choices. I am a little concerned, however, because I sent e-mails to everyone involved in my interview day not long after I interviewed in order to thank them and express my interest, but I did not receive one response back. The chairman of the program at the end of the interview said that I seemed to have all the qualities they were looking for and they would love to have me, but I have not heard back. So I was wondering if anyone knows if Cleveland Clinic just has a policy of not responding to such e-mail messages, or do I have reason to be concerned?

Thanks.

Hi -- I don't know anything specific about Cleveland Clinic, but program directors and other interviewers are highly inconsistent about emailing back and also inconsistent about the timeline for emailing back. He (or she?) may have just missed your email, or read it and planned to respond later. Alternatively, they might have a policy of not misleading applicants, and in order to do that they advise that interviewers not respond to thank-you notes with either encouragement or discouragement.

But, no matter what's happening there, it SHOULD NOT AFFECT YOUR DECISION. If you read information from NRMP about the match algorithm, it is very clear that there is nothing to be gained for us, as applicants, ranking our programs in any order other than our actual preference. There is no way to play the system, and no benefit to ranking programs higher who you think may want you more or who have been more encouraging. So worry more about what you actually want than what they may or may not think of you. It sounds like you did well anyway. :)

Good luck!

same thing happened to me with another program...emailed 3 residents with some follow up questions and the admin assistant to the PD about contact info...never heard back from anyone...wierd.

at the risk of being a naysayer...maybe they say that to everyone to "sell" the program. The PD at Emory said something similar to me, but upon speaking to another of my classmates...he said the same thing to them. It's just part of the game. But I'm a bit skeptical by nature, so don't take it to heart.