question about D.O. and USMLE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andwhat

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
do the majority of D.O. physicians complete the USMLE examinations in addition to the COMPLEX prior to beginning residency - as I understand USMLE is not a requirement prior to joining residency for D.O. physicians, I just think thats an awful lot of tests before residency, 4 as I can imagine, 5 including the CS examination. Can someone please inform me of this? Say both competitive and not so competitive specialties, do most D.O. physicians complete the USMLE steps as well prior to residency? thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

many, if not majority, of DOs take usmle to boost their opportunity in residency application. most of them take usmle step 1 b/w comlex and the rotations, like me. b/c the people don't take it during this period of time usually end up not taking usmle at all. Actually there is not much diference in preparing b/w comlex and usmle except I used OMM green book for the comlex.

realmdo said:
many, if not majority, of DOs take usmle to boost their opportunity in residency application. most of them take usmle step 1 b/w comlex and the rotations, like me. b/c the people don't take it during this period of time usually end up not taking usmle at all. Actually there is not much diference in preparing b/w comlex and usmle except I used OMM green book for the comlex.

thank you for the reply... do you think that there is a significant difference in degree of difficulty between the complex and usmle? thanks again.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's COMLEX not COMPLEX

Most people just take Step I...unless a residency asks for Step 2...

andwhat said:
thank you for the reply... do you think that there is a significant difference in degree of difficulty between the complex and usmle? thanks again.
as many people have said, comlex Q are usually shorter and contain less info to make a confident choice. I personally feel they are pretty much similar in difficulty although about a half of usmle Q are lengthy but manageable. My suggestion is if you want to take both, definitely do it together. otherwise you'll feel too exhausted.