question about deferring

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SnudgeMuffin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's say you get off the waitlist and you decide to defer, would they still honor that or move on to the next person on the list.

Members don't see this ad.

i think it depends on the school. you should contact each one and ask... maybe without disclosing your name, g'luck

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard that some schools (I don't have specific names for you) won't allow you to defer if you're getting in off the waitlist.... anyone know more specifically?

It depends on each school. For instance, Yale tolds its wailistees that they would only honor requests for deferral for students taken off of the waitlist by June 30. I assume most schools have similar policies.
I would recommend asking if a "pre-approved" deferral is possible. That way, if they take you off of the waitlist, they know immediately that you want to defer and can go to the next person automatically. Good luck.

Depends on the school. Some schools don't allow any deferrals at all, some don't allow it off the waitlist.

I think you should ask Gower at <a href="http://www.medicalgold.com/wwwboard/wwwboard.shtml" target="_blank">Medicalgold</a> about your specific schools. He might know the answer.

Can't say for sure, but I'm almost positive that you can defer, even if you were originally waitlisted, as long as you make the request by a certain date (which will vary by school). So as long as you don't get into Harvard on August 20, I see no problems. :D