Deferment year advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dillydilly123

Reaction score
I'm deferring for an additional gap year before starting medical school in 2024. This is my second gap year and aside from scribing, which I have learned a ton from, I have been able to travel a bit and enjoy some time with friends/family ect. I do get the importance of not rushing into this lifelong commitment and enjoying the free time. That being said, I'm required to live in this state, which is far from home, and maintain a full-time job over the next year. I will no longer be scribing but instead working on really cool research with a professor from the institution that I will be attending, and the instructor even said very good chance I will be able to get on a pub or 2. I was also already able to make a group of friends and they will be living in this area for the foreseeable future. I'm making good progress on working towards a healthier lifestyle. Say all that to say this, in this extra unplanned gap year I want to start my studying a bit to try and at least familiarize myself with some of the material, but more so hammer down studying tools/resources/habits so I'm ready to go day 1. This isn't a top priority of mine, giving 100% into the research as it's not only interesting stuff but gives me potential to make a lot of good connections if I can leave a good impression, continue working towards a healthier lifestyle, incorporating hobbies I've enjoyed more into my day-to-day, and maintaining a good social life I think are all more important for where I am currently at. But, if I can carve out some time every week, do you think it's a good idea to try and get ahead of the game a bit? If you do, how would you approach that? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Lots of people have asked the same question and the overwhelming response is always that it's not worth it to study. Not only will med school teach you anything you need to know anyway, but they teach it so fast/in such high volume that few people's pre-studying makes any meaningful impact. It's almost always a complete waste of time, so unless you're taking a course like anatomy for fun, I'd highly recommend against any sort of pre-studying.

Focus on your research and your health. If you absolutely feel the urge to study something, then spend that time learning Spanish or how to cook.

Reactions: 4 users
I agree with above--you made the decision to defer school because there were other things you wanted to do before you start school, so commit yourself to those activities. Focus on the research, doing other things that you won't be able to do once you hop on the medical training treadmill, and establishing lifelong habits in terms of personal wellness that will serve you well in the future.

Reactions: 3 users