Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

question about deferring!!!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Dr Krazy, Nov 11, 2001.

1. Dr Krazy

Dr Krazy Member
    7+ Year Member

it's a complicated situation, but basically i am graduating from college a year early, and am already late into the application process (i have several interviews) but i realized much too late that i would really like to take a year off!! i already posted this on the allopathic forum, but i'm hoping to get some additional insight here from anyone who might know, or want to do the same thing. so my question is, how easy or hard is it to defer a year once i am accepted into a school (assuming that happens) before i even start attending class there? how realistic is it to expect to be able to do this? are there any better alternatives? and does anyone happen to know what schools would be ok w/ deferring?

2. jlsrn

jlsrn Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi,

Good luck with deferring...some schools let you and some don't....I tried to defer....my wife is pregnant (and high risk..been on bedrest, and lost babies..)..and they still wouldn't let me defer...they said I would have to withdraw my app and reapply..but I have also heard of people deferring at some schools with no problem...so good luck..and hope it turns out the way you want it to.

;)

3. jdub

jdub Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    from what i understand, most schools really look down on this, to the extent that they usually only grant it for extreme circumstances, which probably include such things as a death in the family and other unfortunate things along that vein.

also, getting in one year, asumming that you are going to reapply doesn't mean that you will get in the following year, or get interviews.

if you are really serious about taking a year off. i suggest that you explain that to the schools you have interviews to and that you withdraw all of your applications.

best of luck.