Question about DO shadowing/LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meliora27

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does speciality matter? I know a pathologist who's a DO who I can shadow or would it be better to shadow a PCP?

Members don't see this ad.

Does speciality matter? I know a pathologist who's a DO who I can shadow or would it be better to shadow a PCP?

Pathology is awesome and on 3/5 of my interviews I was interviewed by a member of the anatomy faculty. That would be an awesome thing to talk about and path exposes you to gross anatomy nicely. It's great to have that under your belt before starting medical school.

I enjoyed shadowing the PCP's though, so shadow both if you have the time ... most DO's are really nice about writing letters so maybe you can distinguish yourself by getting 2 DO LOR's! Good luck!

Last edited:
I honestly don't think it's a huge part.

An advisor told me half of it is just to see who really wants it.

I think they want you to have at least SOME exposure to osteopathic medicine, and lastly that the physician was convinced you weren't a bad person.

A physician that knows you will write a better letter. But if you're between 2 that you don't know very well, their specialty or whatnot isn't going to be a factor.

I wanted to shadow a pathologist, but I was wondering, what would you really observe? Watching the doc read slides? I'm not sure if you can observe an autopsy, there might be some legal issues with that.