Question About Doing A Residency/Specializing in New York State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dent112

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm interested in applying for pediatric dentistry and would definitely like to apply to schools in New York state. However, I am very confused regarding the residency/experience requirement. I understand that in order to be able to practice in NY, one must complete a year of residency (PGY). Does this one year of residency necessarily have to be GPR/AEGD? Basically, what I am asking is: Do I absolutely have to complete a GPR/AEGD program prior to enrolling in a Pediatric specialty/residency program in New York? Or can I go ahead and apply for the program in my fourth year without having to worry about a GPR/AEGD.

The Admissions Info section of Columbia University's Pediatric Dentistry Residency Program web site, for example, states that one must be "eligible for licensure in New York State" as an admissions requirement. I'm just wondering what this exactly entails. I did go through the New York State Dentistry Licensing Requirements web site but was unable to find a direct answer.

I also went through this web site (http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/dent/dentexampart3.htm) and realized that I may need a "limited permit" - anyone familiar with these?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You can apply right out of school to a NYS Pedo program, but as the law stands you will not be eligible for a license until you finish the program. Also, be careful about the crown requirement for NYS, can be a stumbling block.

There is no requirement to do GPR/AEGD for NYS licensure, but you do have to complete a residency program, i.e. NOT just one year. For example, I am doing an OMFS residency in NYS and I am ineligible for a license even though I've finished my first year. So if you're doing a two-year Pedo residency, you'll have to complete the program to get a NYS license.