Question About ECs in Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lightaxel0

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I will be an M1 this upcoming fall, and I was wondering what the average hours a med student would dedicate outside of class. I'm not 100% sure on my future specialty, but I am strongly inclined with doing research (academic medicine as a future career).

I know M1 will be much harder than undergrad, but I would also like to get my feet wet with research as soon as possible. What do you all consider to be a reasonable time dedication to outside activities like research and volunteering during the school year? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't volunteer at all, but I would spend anywhere from 0-20 hours/week on research. It really just depends on your schedule that week, how well your managing your classes and what needs to be done on your projects.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone!

I will be an M1 this upcoming fall, and I was wondering what the average hours a med student would dedicate outside of class. I'm not 100% sure on my future specialty, but I am strongly inclined with doing research (academic medicine as a future career).

I know M1 will be much harder than undergrad, but I would also like to get my feet wet with research as soon as possible. What do you all consider to be a reasonable time dedication to outside activities like research and volunteering during the school year? Thank you!
Here are some friendly suggestions *before* you begin medical school as a newly-admitted medical student:

1. Since you're an incoming MS1, it might be useful to take some time to identify your best strategies and methods for studying and learning multiple materials in medical school *before* committing yourself to a research project or a volunteering activity.

Why?

MS1-MS2 are important for USMLE boards (e.g., Step 1), clinical clerkship "shelf" exams, and life on clinical wards in MS3-MS4.

USMLE, shelf exams and wards will also be important for matching.

For those reasons, you might not want to dedicate extra hours to outside activities (e.g., research) during MS1. Not yet. Plus, I have no idea *what* type of research or volunteering activity you might choose to do, and how much work and time will be expected in the research/volunteering ... so I can't speak about a reasonable time commitment. You'll be the best person to figure out the time commitment for those things. Just saying.

2. In your first year, you will find out about plenty of research or volunteering opportunities; and you can become involved in a research project/lab/volunteering in the second semester of MS1.

3. If you're feeling really ambitious, or you're gunning for a competitive specialty, or you want a career dedicated to academic medicine ... you can consider research opportunities in the summer of MS1 before you start MS2. In so doing, you will have a chance to "think" about what you want to do in a research lab/project without jumping into something at the beginning of MS1 - especially if MS1 monopolizes your time and attention (i.e., consumes your life). Ditto for "volunteering" activities, whatever those activities might be for you.

TL/DR ... there will be MANY opportunities for you to get involved in research/volunteering as a medical student. Lots of them. It's advisable to identify your best and most efficient study methods as an MS1; and to learn the material; and keep your scores strong; and do well on board exams, shelf exams, and wards. You can pursue research or volunteering in your 2nd semester of MS1, or in the summer before MS2, based on YOUR time and availability. You'll be okay.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with previous posters but I thought I would add my experience. I managed to snag a kind of fairly low effort leadership position that takes less than an hour a week. I also volunteer maybe once a month for about 6-10 hours. And research has been an isolated project or 2 that I did maybe 30 hours of grunt work on. All of this takes time away from studying so I have to be careful not to overload with that stuff. Studying is absolutely first and you have to be careful that you don't take on too much.

Reactions: 1 user