question about filing the fafsa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

superso

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a question about fafsa. most schools say you need to do it real soons, by march 1. but on fafsa you need to give a school code. what if youve got a few acceptances and are waiting a little while to explore the schools again to make a final decision? is it ok to wait til april? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

it's been years since I've filed that thing, but I thought you could put multiple school codes on it . . . I would say it's better to get it in ASAP

superso said:
I had a question about fafsa. most schools say you need to do it real soons, by march 1. but on fafsa you need to give a school code. what if youve got a few acceptances and are waiting a little while to explore the schools again to make a final decision? is it ok to wait til april? thanks

noooo. Definitely don't wait till April. As SteelEyes said, you can list multiple codes on the FAFSA. Try to do it by March 15th.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks alot! i hadnt realized you could do more than 1, im getting right on it

What if you want to put in more than 5...thats the max

MiaFLSurf said:
What if you want to put in more than 5...thats the max

There's a number on the website for you to call -- the FAFSA fairies will hand enter the additional codes.

mdpdgirl said:
What if your or your parents tax returns wont be finished?

A.) Parental info isn't mandatory for federal aid (only for institutional awards)
B.) You are allowed to guesstimate.

mdpdgirl said:
What if your or your parents tax returns wont be finished?

Just estimate the amounts like MedicineBird said. But you realy should put it down on the off chance you actually qualify for institutional grants and stuff.

Fill out the FAFSA online. You can update it (add schools) later if you need to.