Question about Foleys

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drivesmecraazee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a costarrican med student, I speak english well and undestand everything, but there are some specific medical terms that aren't familiar to me...anyways...I'll try to express myself clearly...here's my question:

Who exactly to Foley catheters work? It just drains the urine out of the bladder or does the catheter also stimulates the bladder and starts the contraction of the muscle and the relaxation of the sphincter?

Thanks a lot for your answers :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

it just drains urine out

I think that you'll find as you get into the clinical portion of your medical training that looking up the information you seek on your own will not only help you remember the material better but will begin to build a library or sources from which you will draw information that you may think is inappropriate to ask an attending. For example, one medical student on a rotation asked an attending what S1 and S2 were. I contend that he should have written down the question once he realized he didn't know what they were, and looked it up later. I do believe there are dumb questions and the more of those you answer on your own the better off you'll be. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that you'll find as you get into the clinical portion of your medical training that looking up the information you seek on your own will not only help you remember the material better but will begin to build a library or sources from which you will draw information that you may think is inappropriate to ask an attending. For example, one medical student on a rotation asked an attending what S1 and S2 were. I contend that he should have written down the question once he realized he didn't know what they were, and looked it up later. I do believe there are dumb questions and the more of those you answer on your own the better off you'll be. Good luck.

Unnecessary.

My previous post was delivered in the most constructive manner possible. No offence was intended, however, I feel that in my experience I had some valuable advice that would help whomever might listen to it. Whether or not you do listen is up to you. Whether it was necessary or not is really a moot point, you opened the thread and invited the opinions of others. Once again read and learn or discard. I wouldn't have taken the time to write it just to insult you. I was honestly trying to help.

Well...yeah...but my question was about foleys and you didn't answer it.
Now that I look back I realize my question was sort dumb and the answer was pretty obvious but now there's nothing I can do about it...I guess it's time to say: my bad...but that's it.
Im not really interested in starting a discussion with you, there are plenty of dumb questions in this forums so look for another person to argue if that's what you want, if you posted your answer with the best intentions, I appreciate that.
Bye.

Well...yeah...but my question was about foleys and you didn't answer it.
Now that I look back I realize my question was sort dumb and the answer was pretty obvious but now there's nothing I can do about it...I guess it's time to say: my bad...but that's it.
Im not really interested in starting a discussion with you, there are plenty of dumb questions in this forums so look for another person to argue if that's what you want, if you posted your answer with the best intentions, I appreciate that.
Bye.

:confused: