question about getting in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lyndamn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may be a silly question, but I seriously have an actively wondering mind :D

If I was invited for an interview, for example, what are some reasons that they would reject me (or anyone) post-interview? Too shy? Too hyper? Interview answers weren't good enough? Appearance?

(I'm a shy petite girl with a soft voice, btw, and I'm wondering if this is a disadvantage?) :confused: :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

I was told I was too tall once during an interview for law school. I laughed it off because I thought they were joking but then I didn't get into the school. I've always wondered since then...

Anywho, for an interview(any really) you want to remain relaxed but attentive. Speak in an even tone. Try to avoid the um, ohs, hmms that sort of thing. Eye contact is a big deal, always make good eye contact with the person asking you questions. Try to be a little jovial but not hyper as you put it. Try to do some pre-interview recon as well so you know proper titles although they should introduce themselves. Make sure you follow their lead with how they address themselves. If they say Dr. so and so than so should you.

Here's a big one: If you don't know the answer to something than be honest and just say so. Don't try to fudge your way through.

You'll want to dress nice also but not revealing(not that you would). You should see some of the women I've seen thinking a little skin would get them bonus points.

Good luck.

I think fivescrew nailed your answer. One thing in addition to the above posting is reviewing the interview feedback tab on SDN for all the schools. Its at the top of the page under the blue heading. Its a huge resource for interviewing.

I also encourage everyone who has interviewed to fill one out to help others who were once in your position.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the biggest reason they would reject you is if they feel you won't like their program. There are a lot of shy people in my class, but they all really want to be a podiatrist and are very capable students. It is easy to tell if a candidate really has the desire to be in their program, so the best thing you can do for yourself is to think through all of the reasons why you want to do this.

(I'm a shy petite girl with a soft voice, btw, and I'm wondering if this is a disadvantage?) :confused: :oops:

I would consider being a chick actually an advantage: the majority of podiatrists are male, and I know that most Universities actively try to correct the gender discrepancies as much as possible. Most medical school admissions these days are 50/50: M/F. So if you're a female with good stats, and you're not annoying and dress appropriately, your chances are excellent.