Question about [H+], CO2 and O2 partial pressure and how they relate to breathing rate.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roy Williams

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My notes say that breathing rate can be decreased by low [H+] and CO2 partial pressure and high O2 partial pressure. This doesn't make sense to me, though. Why wouldn't it be the opposite: breathing rate decreased by high [H+] and CO2 pp and low O2 pp?

Unless I just wrote this down backwards by accident... could someone expand on this/explain it to me?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

[H+] and CO2 are essentially the same in this case, as CO2 is transported as H2CO3 (carbonic acid) in the blood. High levels of either one will trigger an INCREASED breathing rate in order to get rid of the acid and bring the blood pH back to 7.4. This is called respiratory acidosis.

Reactions: 1 user
[H+] and CO2 are essentially the same in this case, as CO2 is transported as H2CO3 (carbonic acid) in the blood. High levels of either one will trigger an INCREASED breathing rate in order to get rid of the acid and bring the blood pH back to 7.4. This is called respiratory acidosis.
Thank you!