Question about Honors Thesis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueElmo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to apply to medical schools this coming summer. I was thinking of doing Honors Thesis for my research but apparently that takes a whole year. Which means I won't be able to present my research in a conference until the Fall of next year... too late.
My question is, can I still put on the AMCAS that I am enrolled in Honors Program/Thesis at my school? Is this even a big deal or do I need to have already presented for adcoms to even care?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you can say you're doing research towards an honors thesis, which will be complete in the fall. Then once you present, you can send an update letter, which would be a nice boost at schools that haven't decided on you or have waitlisted you. You can talk about it at interviews too if you really want to make them aware.

I am pretty sure that, in most places, honors theses are completed during the senior year, so it would not be abnormal to put on your application that you are pursuing an honors thesis (briefly describe your project in the app). You'll probably get asked about your research in interviews, and you can elaborate more. Would it be more impressive if you had already completed and presented your thesis before applications? I don't know the answer to that... not an adcom :)

Members don't see this ad :)
According to various advisers I've talked to, no one really cares whether or not you've completed an honors thesis-- it's the research experience itself that really counts.

You can talk about it at interviews too if you really want to make them aware.

Include it and elaborate during interviews. I've heard it makes a great topic of discussion if you can talk in depth about what you're researching.

Thanks guys for the replies. In my school, Honors Thesis requires 8 units of research credit over one year - a lot of work.
If doing it is not a big deal, then should I even sign up for it? I can just do research as a lab member and like you guys said, talk about it during interviews or something?
I mean it's not on par with a publication, right?

do you go to berkeley? that sounds like the same thing i'm doing. the requirement is there just to make sure you've been working in a lab. if you've been getting URAP credits for it or H99 credits for it, you can just sign up for H96b. it is a lot of work though, but the 4 units you get are graded and pretty much a guaranteed A.

Thanks guys for the replies. In my school, Honors Thesis requires 8 units of research credit over one year - a lot of work.
If doing it is not a big deal, then should I even sign up for it? I can just do research as a lab member and like you guys said, talk about it during interviews or something?
I mean it's not on par with a publication, right?
No, it's not on par with a publication, and really isn't a huge deal. I suggest you only consider a thesis if it's something you want to do, rather than something to put on your application. I loved research, and didn't mind 6 credits of A, so I would suggest you consider it on that level rather than just as a way to help your app.

I am doing research other than that was described in my proposed honors thesis. As in, I am doing theoretical work again, and my proposal was about a project that was more physical chemistry than theoretical biophysics. My friends make fun of me for it... and I do not know if I have enough time to finish my proposed project :(

Another quick question:
Ok, so I enjoy research but don't really have any desire to pursue it after undergrad and I'm interested in doing an honors thesis next year, but I'll also be studying for the MCAT and taking three 5 hour lab courses that semester. I'm concerned that I won't be able to devote enough time to MCAT prep which is a huge priority and so I'm considering not completing the thesis despite the fact that I know I'd really enjoy it. Any thoughts on this?