Question about if I should continue pre-med because of my transcript

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Peds555

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’ve wanted to be a doctor for a long time. My freshman year of college (2012-2013) though, I developed an eating disorder. I’ve been in and out of treatment for the last 8 years. I have 8 Ws from having to withdraw for treatment. There are quite a few semesters I didn’t go to college because I was still recovering, and didn’t want to go back until I for sure felt ready. My GPA is a 3.8.

I still have about 2.5 years of school left. If I could complete all of that, without any more withdraws or taking semesters off, would that prove that I can handle school? I also have all of my hard classes left. Pretty sure no one has had such a bad record as this when applying to Med school, which is why I’m wondering if I should keep going.

Also, I know mentioning eating disorders in an interview or personal statements is a bad idea, but I have no idea how else to explain all of that.

Any advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes you should. You can also make a very good story with your circumstances.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve wanted to be a doctor for a long time. My freshman year of college (2012-2013) though, I developed an eating disorder. I’ve been in and out of treatment for the last 8 years. I have 8 Ws from having to withdraw for treatment. There are quite a few semesters I didn’t go to college because I was still recovering, and didn’t want to go back until I for sure felt ready. My GPA is a 3.8.

I still have about 2.5 years of school left. If I could complete all of that, without any more withdraws or taking semesters off, would that prove that I can handle school? I also have all of my hard classes left. Pretty sure no one has had such a bad record as this when applying to Med school, which is why I’m wondering if I should keep going.

Also, I know mentioning eating disorders in an interview or personal statements is a bad idea, but I have no idea how else to explain all of that.

Any advice is appreciated!
Kudos to you my friend!!! Battling an ED while transitioning into college life is a ton of burden to put on anybody. The Ws on your transcript won't harm you, that is what they are for (withdrawing from classes to deal with stuff going on in life). Your GPA is outstanding and you are in good shape academically thus far for med school! If this is your dream, keep it up and you will do great!!! In regards to interviews and secondaries, you can keep it vague (i.e. illness, etc) and you will be fine. Good luck!!!!! :thumbup:

Reactions: 2 users
Yes you should. You can also make a very good story with your circumstances.
Every adcom I've ever talked with has recommended avoiding discussions of depression, anxiety, eating disorders, and the like.

I had a similar story to you and I discussed my eating disorder in my personal statement. It felt like such an integral part of my med school journey that I couldn't not write about it. I'm currently in my first year of med school so as long as you spin it right, sharing your story won't stop you from getting in to medical school :)

Reactions: 1 users
You can definitely still do it with a good academic performance moving forward. You will have to explain why you took so many breaks/Ws though.

I had a similar story to you and I discussed my eating disorder in my personal statement. It felt like such an integral part of my med school journey that I couldn't not write about it. I'm currently in my first year of med school so as long as you spin it right, sharing your story won't stop you from getting in to medical school :)
That’s so great to hear! Thanks for sharing. I feel the same. It’s been such a big part of my life, and in the end has really helped me. It would be hard to leave all of that out.