Question about In-State vs. Out of State Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neuro_firefighter

Reaction score
Hey everyone, sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find a concrete answer.

I recently moved to New Jersey (~1 month ago) from New York (lived there my entire life). By the time I apply this cycle, I would have been living in New Jersey for about 3-4 months. I was wondering how this would be seen for New Jersey and New York state schools (or schools with in-state preference). I know for tuition purposes some schools say you need a year living in-state to receive the reduced tuition, but for admissions purposes would I be considered in-state for New Jersey and say I have ties to New York? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, why would you move to Jersey ?! (Jk). Second of all, schools have a department dedicated to answering questions like this. Ask the admissions folks about your in#state eligibility. In my state (also east coast), you cannot apply as in-state until after you lived for 1 year.

Reactions: 1 user
First of all, why would you move to Jersey ?! (Jk). Second of all, schools have a department dedicated to answering questions like this. Ask the admissions folks about your in#state eligibility. In my state (also east coast), you cannot apply as in-state until after you lived for 1 year.
That's what I've been seeing as well but wanted to see if it applied to admissions as well. I'll reach out to the individual schools. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
That's what I've been seeing as well but wanted to see if it applied to admissions as well. I'll reach out to the individual schools. Thank you!
I honestly don't see the issue. You are a NJ resident now (I'm assuming you are not a full time student, correct?), you will be when you apply, and you will have been for over a year when you matriculate. You check all the boxes, what else is there to check?

I know TX requires you to have residency for 12 months before the application deadline (10/1), but most states, including NJ, impose the requirement before actual matriculation, not the application deadline. So, you're good. Nothing to reach out to schools about! Good luck!! :)