question about Lasik

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sosoo

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
yes i know this is pharmacy, but the optometry forum is dead. not many ppl go there. so im thinking of getting Lasik bladeless, does anyone know any good pricing and service? cheap is good, but i dont want terrible service..

Members don't see this ad.

Where do u currently live? I have recently inquired about the Lasik that referred fr my eye doc. The price range can go fr either 5k-10k depend on the surgeon's experiences and what not

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Lasik costs around $750-1000 an eye in Costa Rica, same machines, same technology, and equally well trained doctors. My wife had her eyes done down here. There's a huge medical tourism industry. Plane ticket bought in advance will cost you around $500 round trip. Private room at a hostel will run around $30 a night, shared rooms run $10-15 a night.

I recommend it highly. I've had nothing but good experiences with the private medical system down here the three years I've lived here.

Most doctors are conversational in english.

I recommend anyone that works at hospital CIMA or hospital Clinica Biblica. They are the two most expensive hospitals in the country and tend to have the best medical staff.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I got mine done by the top guy in Virginia. $2500 for both. Would do it again in a heartbeat. I was seeing 20/15 within the week

I had my Lasik with bladeless IntraLasik done back in April 2006 by Dr Phillip Hoopes, Jr, MD, in Salt Lake City, Utah. He was awesome! After 8 years, my vision is still 20/20. Because I was -6.0 (strongly nearsighted) in both eyes, it cost $2000 per eye. FSA covered the total amount, which meant I had no out-of-pocket expenses.

In San Diego, a lot of doctors are doing promo for $2500 for both eyes also.

They do each eye as a separate one, right? Cuz I'm limited to $2500 FSA so if I can stagger them between two different fiscal years, I can divert more $$ tax free.

Reactions: 1 user
I think a lot of doctor will work with you on a payment plan (just like on any procedures out there) so you can use the FSA anyway you like.

If you want to do elective surgery, try to schedule it all at once in the same year (LASIK, Veneer, Crown, Dental implant, Liposuction, gas/mileage to the doctor offices, etc), so you can go over 10% of AGI to get the tax deduction.

Also look into PRK surgery, that is what I had. I think most doctors can do either. PRK surgery doesn't require a flap opening on the eye. Healing time, and after effects are different. I got it done in Jan. 2010 and still see great to this day.

try to schedule it all at once in the same year (LASIK, Veneer, Crown, Dental implant, Liposuction, gas/mileage to the doctor offices, etc), so you can go over 10% of AGI to get the tax deduction.

Jesus, I'm not some overweight, nearsighted hillbilly with no teeth. Hmph.

They do each eye as a separate one, right? Cuz I'm limited to $2500 FSA so if I can stagger them between two different fiscal years, I can divert more $$ tax free.
You can have just one eye worked on at a time.

I did both because my FSA limit was $5000 for my employer back in 2006.

It is shocking how big the difference was after receiving Lasik! The morning of postop day 1, my vision was amazing! Before then, I had been confined to wearing glasses for 18 years.

any good deals in northern virginia? or should i wait til black friday? ^_^,.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some of these prices seem high!!! I had lasik done about 10 years ago for about 900/eye...fyi...my vision is still 20-10 just like it was when I had it done 10 years ago...

Bladeless Lasik or Wavefront lasik with femtosecond laser flap is new procedure of performing Lasik surgery nowadays, with an average price of 1500 to 3000 US dollars per eye, depending in which state and eye center you're performing your surgery.

I got mine done by a top ophthalmologist in NYC for about $5000. I've had friends who got it in other countries for far less and they haven't gotten blind yet

Lasik is not without risks, risks are higher the more near-sighted a person is. I looked into, and decided the risk of permanent blindness/double vision/chronic migraine headaches was not worth the convenience of not wearing glasses. Actually, I like taking off my glasses sometimes, and seeing all the lights as blurry Christmas tree lights. ISHA2018 mentioned being strongly nearly sighted at -6....that is mild-moderate nearsightedness. My nearsightedness is moderate-severe (-12 & -13), severe would be more like -18. People with mild-moderate nearsightedness are much more likely to have good results than people with moderate & higher near-sightedness. I'd recommend considering your own degree of near-sightedness when deciding whether to get Lasix. It is also more imperative to pick a doctor who is equipped to give you chronic follow-up care, if you have moderate or higher near-sightedness, as the recovery is often not as smooth as for people with lesser near-sightedness and many times a 2nd "enhancement" surgery will be needed. As Corytrade mentioned, PRK is also worth looking into, it seems to have a better safety profile than Lasix (but longer recovery post-op), especially for people with moderate & higher near-sightedness.

Reactions: 1 user
Lasik is not without risks, risks are higher the more near-sighted a person is. I looked into, and decided the risk of permanent blindness/double vision/chronic migraine headaches was not worth the convenience of not wearing glasses. Actually, I like taking off my glasses sometimes, and seeing all the lights as blurry Christmas tree lights. ISHA2018 mentioned being strongly nearly sighted at -6....that is mild-moderate nearsightedness. My nearsightedness is moderate-severe (-12 & -13), severe would be more like -18. People with mild-moderate nearsightedness are much more likely to have good results than people with moderate & higher near-sightedness. I'd recommend considering your own degree of near-sightedness when deciding whether to get Lasix. It is also more imperative to pick a doctor who is equipped to give you chronic follow-up care, if you have moderate or higher near-sightedness, as the recovery is often not as smooth as for people with lesser near-sightedness and many times a 2nd "enhancement" surgery will be needed. As Corytrade mentioned, PRK is also worth looking into, it seems to have a better safety profile than Lasix (but longer recovery post-op), especially for people with moderate & higher near-sightedness.

Dang! I thought my -8 and -8.5 was bad!

I was told by my optometrist that I'm at the worse end that many will do lasik on. He specifically recommended someone from UCLA that he warned me will be very conservative and might even say I'm not a good candidate. Still haven't made the eval appt.

People with high near sightedness should speak with a trust worthy opthalmologist on LASIK vs ICL and weight the pros and con's before proceeding.

Also look into PRK surgery, that is what I had. I think most doctors can do either. PRK surgery doesn't require a flap opening on the eye. Healing time, and after effects are different. I got it done in Jan. 2010 and still see great to this day.

Be cautious of PRK. I looked into the eye stuff last month. First person said I was a candidate for LASIK. Second said my cornea's were too thin and to go for PRK or the permanent contacts (forget the medical name). He also said healing time would be about 3-5 days with being able to work after 2 days for PRK....Found some stuff online where some people had about 2-5 months of vision haziness with PRK. I don't think most pharmacies would be happy with a half blind pharmacist for even a day let alone a month. Other patients had permanent vision damage - although I'm sure there are cases of this for all the vision correction services.

Prices for bladeless in OKC were about 1250 per eye to about 2500. PRK - 1500ish per eye. Permanent contacts 2500 per eye.

Just be careful and do your research. LASIK will take some thickness off your corneas and may not make you a candidate the second time you need a touch up. Research!

If you are in CA, just drive 30 mins - 6 hours to Tijuana, and stay a couple days for a cheap vacation! You don't even need to speak any Spanish since most of medical staff speak perfect English. Get Lasik done for $999/eye. I'd do this if mine is bad. I only have -0.75, don't really need glasses unless I am driving at night.

Co-worker got a boob job in TJ for only $2750, face lift $3500, rhinoplasty $2200, lipo/tummy tuck $2500. Don't pay 2-3X in USA. Medical procedures in USA cost an arm and leg and the quality is just about the same in Mexico or India, if not better. Heck, a good dental crown with insurance here cost more than paying out of pocket in Mexico.

http://www.codetvision.com/

Last edited:
I did a thing called Ortho-K contact lenses: http://okglobal.org/. They are contact lenses that you wear while you sleep and they reshape the cornea so that you can see clearly for 1-2 days after you take them out. It's not permanent and non-surgical. PM me if you want the name of my OD in South Florida.

People with high near sightedness should speak with a trust worthy opthalmologist on LASIK vs ICL and weight the pros and con's before proceeding.

I just had this very convo with an optho.

Leaning ICL at the moment...

Dang! I thought my -8 and -8.5 was bad!

I was told by my optometrist that I'm at the worse end that many will do lasik on. He specifically recommended someone from UCLA that he warned me will be very conservative and might even say I'm not a good candidate. Still haven't made the eval appt.

I'm -8 right eye -8.5 left eye.

Lasik is not without risks, risks are higher the more near-sighted a person is. I looked into, and decided the risk of permanent blindness/double vision/chronic migraine headaches was not worth the convenience of not wearing glasses. Actually, I like taking off my glasses sometimes, and seeing all the lights as blurry Christmas tree lights. ISHA2018 mentioned being strongly nearly sighted at -6....that is mild-moderate nearsightedness. My nearsightedness is moderate-severe (-12 & -13), severe would be more like -18. People with mild-moderate nearsightedness are much more likely to have good results than people with moderate & higher near-sightedness. I'd recommend considering your own degree of near-sightedness when deciding whether to get Lasix. It is also more imperative to pick a doctor who is equipped to give you chronic follow-up care, if you have moderate or higher near-sightedness, as the recovery is often not as smooth as for people with lesser near-sightedness and many times a 2nd "enhancement" surgery will be needed. As Corytrade me
ntioned, PRK is also worth looking into, it seems to have a better safety profile than Lasix (but longer recovery post-op), especially for people with moderate & higher near-sightedness.

I had laser surgery to repair torn retinas when I was 13. A side effect was photosensitivity so I pretty much wear sunglasses outside unless it's cloudy.

I don't think I'd have laser surgery to correct my vision. I'm fine with contacts and glasses until I die.

I just had this very convo with an optho.

Leaning ICL at the moment...
I had the ICL done due to my eyes being -10 & 11. After ICL i can see 20/20 out of my left eye but only 20/40 outof my right due to some fibrous deposit on the lense from inflammation. This scatters the light which cause things to look foggy. The only way to clean that up is to replace lense, but that won't guarantee the inflammatory reponse wouldn't just occur again. But together I still see 20/20 and I just have to wear sun glasses outdoors on sunny days.