Question about length of content vs. practice problems

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cluelessdr

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I was wondering what people tend to do for studying the DAT. I heard to use dat destroyer and dat bootcamp. is dat destroyer content videos or does it include practice problems as well? Should I do one-two months of content review and then move onto dat destroyer? Or what do most people do. I plan on starting this month and take the dat in January 2018.

Members don't see this ad.

Destroyer is a book filled with practice problems. Most people use it as a learning tool by taking advantage of the detailed explanations for each question. However, the questions in Destroyer are of higher difficulty and you should first build a solid foundation of the material before you start Destroyer. Bootcamp (3 month subscription, although i think it can be extended longer) contains instructional videos and resources to learn the materials (they have gen chem and ochem videos and good PAT practice). However, the best part of bootcamp is the full-length practice tests. Bootcamp is very similar to the difficulty of the real exam and you should use bootcamp as mostly a learning tool (there are amazing explanations for each question), although the practice exams are also a good way to see how you are doing in each subject.

Destroyer is a book filled with practice problems. Most people use it as a learning tool by taking advantage of the detailed explanations for each question. However, the questions in Destroyer are of higher difficulty and you should first build a solid foundation of the material before you start Destroyer. Bootcamp (3 month subscription, although i think it can be extended longer) contains instructional videos and resources to learn the materials (they have gen chem and ochem videos and good PAT practice). However, the best part of bootcamp is the full-length practice tests. Bootcamp is very similar to the difficulty of the real exam and you should use bootcamp as mostly a learning tool (there are amazing explanations for each question), although the practice exams are also a good way to see how you are doing in each subject.
awesome, this is what i needed. I am going to buy bootcamp within the next few days then! thanks again

Hello I was wondering what people tend to do for studying the DAT. I heard to use dat destroyer and dat bootcamp. is dat destroyer content videos or does it include practice problems as well? Should I do one-two months of content review and then move onto dat destroyer? Or what do most people do. I plan on starting this month and take the dat in January 2018.

We are raffling 3 DAT and Math Destroyers in SDN's Test Prep week that begins Sept 18, join the raffle maybe you will win.

Nancy

Members don't see this ad :)
I spent 6 weeks doing content review, one week on Chad’s Defeat the DAT, then one week Bootcamp. I didn’t use the DAT Destroyer. I tried some questions in each subject and found it not representative of the real test. so I decided to not spend my time on it.

Content review is the most important part imo. You have to build a solid foundation before moving on to any practice tests.

I don't think the DAT destroyer is essential. But this is just my opinions… everyone is different and you have to find a way that works best for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I spent 6 weeks doing content review, one week on Chad’s Defeat the DAT, then one week Bootcamp. I didn’t use the DAT Destroyer. I tried some questions in each subject and found it not representative of the real test. so I decided to not spend my time on it.

Content review is the most important part imo. You have to build a solid foundation before moving on to any practice tests.

I don't think the DAT destroyer is necessary. But this is just my opinions… everyone is different and you have to find a way that works best for you.
Congratulations! I did not see your scores posted. How did it go? I assume you are a great student, not many students I have taught for over 25 years could Destroy the DAT with your study plan. Did you retake the DAT? How would you have known the DAT Destroyer was not representative of the DAT unless you had already taken the DAT? You are entitled to your opinion and I respect that but IMO the DAT Destroyer is needed if you want to reach your full potential on the DAT.

Dr. Jim Romano

Last edited:
how do i enter?

Hi, cluelessdr, the raffle will begin Sept 18 and the link will be live then. I will post the link when it is ready to go.

Good luck ...

Also if you have any questions while studying the DAT or Math Destroyer or any of our other products you can post questions here, we answer asap.

Official DAT Destroyer Q&A Thread

Congratulations! I did not see your scores posted. How did it go? I assume you are a great student, not many students I have taught for over 25 years could Destroy the DAT with your study plan. Did you retake the DAT? How would you have known the DAT Destroyer was not representative of the DAT unless you had already taken the DAT? You are entitled to your opinion and I respect that but IMO the DAT Destroyer is needed if you want to reach your full potential on the DAT.

Dr. Jim Romano

I took my DAT days ago and no that was my first attempt. I did the 2009 test right after my content review so I knew what's the test was like. I felt the Destroyer was much harder than the actual exam. Since I didn't have a lot of time studying for my DAT so I decided to spend my time on somethings else:).
But maybe you're right - there were 2 OC questions on my exam that I found really hard and had no clue how to answer... maybe if I did the Destroyer I could get those two right. I got 25 TS btw

Reactions: 1 user
As far as what resources to use, OP, if you have the money and you feel you could use extra help in the sciences it definitely doesn't hurt to get Destroyer. Not all of the questions are overly difficult. There is a good mix of easy, medium, and higher difficulty questions. It is a good product. I also got a 25 TS and I used Bootcamp, Ferali's Notes, and DAT Destroyer. I found them all to be very helpful. Gather however many resources you need to fill in knowledge gaps.

Reactions: 1 users

I don't think the DAT destroyer is essential. But this is just my opinions… everyone is different and you have to find a way that works best for you.
ill take this into consideration thank you

Hi, cluelessdr, the raffle will begin Sept 18 and the link will be live then. I will post the link when it is ready to go.

Good luck ...

Also if you have any questions while studying the DAT or Math Destroyer or any of our other products you can post questions here, we answer asap.

Official DAT Destroyer Q&A Thread
Hi, where can i find the link to the raffle? Thank you!

From what I've seen here in the forums, people prefer to build foundational knowledge before approaching material from test prep companies. Ultimately, you'd use the latter resources to test yourself and identify gaps in your studies. I recommend that you check out the many breakdowns posted by fellow DATers to get a feel for what may work for you.

Best of luck!

Last edited by a moderator: