Question about Letters of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prominence

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i plan to have 3 letters of recommendation when I apply in early September.

if i can secure a 4th letter letter by early October in a sub-I, can I still submit that letter for my application?
(i.e. when is the latest one can send in LOR's? can you add extra LORs in addition to the ones you initially stated on your application?)

Members don't see this ad.

you can always add one, however four is the most you can send over ERAS. Make sure you know how many letters each program requires. If they require three, then send three ASAP so your file will be complete, and then you can send a fourth later if you want. Hope this helps

Yup. October is a fine time to get a letter. Assuming you're not early matching your earliest interviews will be late November.

I always tell the 2nd/3rd years to try to get twice as many letters as you will need. You never know if one of the later ones will be a lot better than an early one.

Casey

I did not get an Anesthesia letter in unitll Nov. I had a surgery, med, and ICU letter by sept. I got 14 or so offers even before i had the Anesthesia letter and only one offer after it was in. So my impression is..get the rest of your app in as early as possible, most places will start granting interviews pretty early (like sept/oct) based on board scores and CAF alone. I dont think it will hurt to have it in by oct for MOST places.. however i know a few places specifically state that they want 2 LOR from Anesthesia faculty or one from a Chair. These programs may differ in the way they grant intereviews, but i didnt apply to any..mabey someone knows more about these..

And, an addition to my reply above- you can unsend a letter and replace it with another one later. Your letters aren't written in stone until you interview!

Casey

+pad+

Originally posted by cg1155
And, an addition to my reply above- you can unsend a letter and replace it with another one later. Your letters aren't written in stone until you interview!
Casey
+pad+

Just to clarify... you can "unsend" a letter if it has not already been downloaded by the program you're applying to... otherwise, if they have already downloaded the letter, you can uncheck the box for that letter (doesn't matter cuz they already have that letter in your file) and upload another letter. That way, a program can actually more than 4 letters...

Just to clarify... you can "unsend" a letter if it has not already been downloaded by the program you're applying to... otherwise, if they have already downloaded the letter, you can uncheck the box for that letter (doesn't matter cuz they already have that letter in your file) and upload another letter. That way, a program can actually more than 4 letters...

True