Question about letters of recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zurned

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a 4th year right now and in the process of getting letters of recommendation. What is the difference between an SLOR and a regular LOR? In fact, what is an SLOR period? How many of each do most programs require for applications? If I ask a faculty member who is not a director of anything, would I be getting a regular LOR or an SLOR?

Thanks, clearly I am very confused. Is the SLOR something specific to EM or do other specialities also have such a thing?

Members don't see this ad.

SLOR is a "standard letter of recommendation" for ED residencies. It is different than just asking someone to write out a letter for you. I have attached a copy for reference.

Attachments

• SLOR.doc
    55 KB · Views: 206
Thanks for the reply!

How many SLORs do I need and how many regular LORs do I need? Do only clerkship directors/residency program directors write these? If I get a letter from an EM attending that is NOT a program director, whcih format should I use?

Members don't see this ad :)
You need 2 SLOR's from a clinical rotation. A LOR from some other rotation is good as well, or from a mentor, etc.