Question about letters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medical22

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If the schools ask for more than one letter of recommendation (as most schools do), would it be okay to submit just the composite letter from the pre-med advisory committee of the undergrad college? I am guessing that because composite letters hold more weight than individual letters, med schools only expect to see that one letter. Is it necessary to send the number of letters that the applications state?

Members don't see this ad.

How do you go about asking an MD for a letter of rec if you don't really know any? Is this nescessary for adcoms? What about employers?

The committee or composite letter is one that (at least for me) takes letters from three people I designated and combines it into a synopsis that will be easier for the admissions people to look at. Most schools say that this is enough. The only one I have seen that is different is Iowa but they only want two of their own sheets filled out and you can even give the sheets to people included in your committee letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
So let's say a school asks for 3 letters. Do you put down the names of three professors that are on the pre-med committee and then submit just one composite letter?

Also can we mail out the secondaries before the recommendors have the letter ready?

At my undergrad college, two members of the pre-health interviewed me, and then they wrote a letter based on the interview and 4 other recommendations I had given them. They then mailed a copy of each of the reccommendations along with their own letter to each school I applied to.

Most of the applications that I received asked for either the names of people who had written letters or if the pre-health commitee was sending a letter. If it doesn't do this on your application, I would write down the name of the chair of the committee and make note that it is a committee letter that the school will be receiving.

You definitely can mail out the secondary apps before your letter has been completed, but the school won't review your file until they have received the letters.