Question about listing credits on secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThatQuestionGuy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school has a stupid credit system where it assigns 1.0 for regular classes and 0.5 for P/F. When the secondary asks me to list " Semester Credits" should I list it as it is on my transcript (1.0) or list it as it is on AMCAS Semester Hours (4.0)?

Members don't see this ad.

Edit: nevermind, you're asking about secondaries

I'd go with 4.0, the AMCAS way. Though schools would probably figure out that you didn't take 1.0 credits of organic chemistry, I think it's just easier to bypass that and use the normal credit system. Esp. since lots of schools say clearly 8.0 semester hours of physics/genchem/bio/organic, it's easier to just do it that way since it's on your AMCAS anyway.

I've never heard of that system, it's weird! Out of curiosity, are all classes 1.0 credit no matter how often they meet? Like, my school has 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 credit and 4.0 credit courses based on how many classes per week it meets (and I think a couple 5.0's). Do seminar classes that are 1x/wk count the same in your GPA as a 3-lecture+1-lab class? What a headache for you!

I'd go with 4.0, the AMCAS way. Though schools would probably figure out that you didn't take 1.0 credits of organic chemistry, I think it's just easier to bypass that and use the normal credit system. Esp. since lots of schools say clearly 8.0 semester hours of physics/genchem/bio/organic, it's easier to just do it that way since it's on your AMCAS anyway.

I've never heard of that system, it's weird! Out of curiosity, are all classes 1.0 credit no matter how often they meet? Like, my school has 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 credit and 4.0 credit courses based on how many classes per week it meets (and I think a couple 5.0's). Do seminar classes that are 1x/wk count the same in your GPA as a 3-lecture+1-lab class? What a headache for you!

Yes all classes are 1.0 even if there is a lab component. I think there are some classes (p-chem) where the lab component is an extra 0.5 or something but I've never taken one of those.

Thanks for your response