Question about LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Winston Smith

i didn't do it
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying next year. How many letters of recommendation do most med schools prefer you to have? I also would like to know from which types of professors (which subject) they want. Do they prefer a LOR from a recent professor or is it okay if I get one from my g-chem professor (I have good rapport with him)? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

g-chem prof is ok - i had one - but i also TA'ed for him. just get ones from profs that you have the best rapporte with. diversity in subjects would be great, a humanity/social science one thrown in the mix if yuo can brings out a different side of your scholarly work. key is getting ones from peeps that know you the best in both an academic and personal level (however much you can get from a prof). since you have a year, i would further strengthen your relationship with your g-chem prof, by just talking to zir about what you are up to, and where you are heading.

Most schools that I've applied to this year want 3 letters of recommendation (2 science and 1 non-science). The type of letters may vary by school. For example some schools want one of those science letters to be from a professor in your major. Other schools such as Dartmouth don't care where the 3 letters come from. Hope that helps.