Question About Major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swifteagle43

Lover- not a fighter
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here are the Options

B.S in Chemistry with a concentration in Biochemistry

Versus

B.S in Chemistry + MBA(Program that links undergrad with MBA credits)

If i go the biochemistry route I can fit genetics and biochemistry into my course load which would help my MCAT.

But if I got the MBA route will it help my chances of admissions more?

Members don't see this ad.

swifteagle43 said:
Here are the Options

B.S in Chemistry with a concentration in Biochemistry

Versus

B.S in Chemistry + MBA(Program that links undergrad with MBA credits)

If i go the biochemistry route I can fit genetics and biochemistry into my course load which would help my MCAT.

But if I got the MBA route will it help my chances of admissions more?

If those take the same time, i'd say go with the masters. Its a higher degree, and chem is a tough major anyway, so if you make it you'll have proven you can do the science.

why dont you just do something you are actually interested in. we have no clue who you are. why should we decide for you. we dont even know how difficult the curriculum is. just do what you makes you the happiest once. if you are really interested in biochemistry this might be the time to do it because you might not have any other opportunities. dont do stuff just for med school, its your life, not X med school's

Members don't see this ad :)
stifler said:
why dont you just do something you are actually interested in. we have no clue who you are. why should we decide for you. we dont even know how difficult the curriculum is. just do what you makes you the happiest once. if you are really interested in biochemistry this might be the time to do it because you might not have any other opportunities. dont do stuff just for med school, its your life, not X med school's

Amen to that. Don't let med school admission rule your life.

Choose what you think will be best for you. Concentrating on Biochem is not necessarily going to help you on the MCAT any more than studying a little Biochem from an MCAT review guide will.

An MBA would not necessarily help in admissions, but would definitely be useful after becoming a physician.

I suggest you do the MBA. It will definitely be more worthwhile in the future.

The MBA will take an extra year. You might have get some credits but you won't finish in 4. If you really want the MBA do an MD/MBA. That way you can start your med education faster.

please please please please please do not choose a major based on med school admission, or even worse the MCAT. Do what interests you. And if you think going in that you want to do biochemistry but realize that after that one great History class that you want to be a History Major, GO FOR IT! You can do science for the rest of your life. College is a time to do something you love, no matter what it is.

Embily123 said:
please please please please please do not choose a major based on med school admission, or even worse the MCAT. Do what interests you. And if you think going in that you want to do biochemistry but realize that after that one great History class that you want to be a History Major, GO FOR IT! You can do science for the rest of your life. College is a time to do something you love, no matter what it is.

I agree....despite what you may have heard, it doesnt matter what you major in, as long as you do your pre-med requirements and such.....but you could be ANY MAJOR YOU WANT....if you want to major in music, art history, painting, knitting, whatever, it doesnt matter to med schools....if anything, being a non-bio or even a non-science major might even help, as med schools do like students with diversity with respect to their academics