Question about matching ADV but no Prelim

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newbie05

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys -
First let me say congrats to all of us for making it through the rank list deadline without any major breakdowns. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but it was borderline for me at points!

Second, no matter how many times I read the NRMP FAQs section, I still can't find the answer to what happens if we match in an adv program but not a prelim year. Does anyone, either with prior experience or just superior knowledge, know what we do on Tuesday if we are only scrambling into a prelim spot? I mean, will the "Congrats you've matched into an advanced program but not a prelim program" e-mail include the name of the adv program so that we are able to scramble into a geographically symbiotic prelim?

Right now I would be thrilled to matched at a couple of my adv spots, but I don't want to scramble into a mid-west prelim if I matched adv in NYC. I hate moving!

Thanks to any and all who can help with this question. And I agree with amyl...these are going to be the longest three weeks of our lives.

Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Someone who knows better feel free to correct me but I believe if this is the case they give you the city of the advanced match. If you only ranked one program in that city then you defacto know your match.

Someone who knows better feel free to correct me but I believe if this is the case they give you the city of the advanced match. If you only ranked one program in that city then you defacto know your match.

This is correct...

this may have changed since last year, but you actually have to call the NRMP to get the name of the city; it doesn't tell you in the email. and you can call immediately after you get the email at noon; i knew what city i was going to by 12:15.