Question about Math Classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pkiss

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just recently switched my major from Mechanical engineering. I know I need math classes for the pre-med reqs but this is what I have:

Math 165-B-Calc 1
Math 166-B-Calc 2
Math 259-C-Calc 3

My question is if all of these classes would be considered in my science GPA and if this would look bad on my application and if I should consider retaking the calc 3 to get rid of that C.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, science GPA = science AND math classes = BCPM = Bio, chem, physics, math courses.

Obviously it doesn't look particularly good, but again, it is calc. You're not trying to go for your PhD in math here, so I'm sure as long as you did decently better in your other science courses, the poor math performance won't look terrible.

Don't retake calc 3. Worst case would be you do worse, which will then definitely look bad. Best case would be if you got an A which will then only average out the C to a B (it won't get rid of it completely unless you apply to DO schools) (I think). Good luck.

Yes, science GPA = science AND math classes = BCPM = Bio, chem, physics, math courses.

Obviously it doesn't look particularly good, but again, it is calc. You're not trying to go for your PhD in math here, so I'm sure as long as you did decently better in your other science courses, the poor math performance won't look terrible.

Don't retake calc 3. Worst case would be you do worse, which will then definitely look bad. Best case would be if you got an A which will then only average out the C to a B (it won't get rid of it completely unless you apply to DO schools) (I think). Good luck.
The bolded is correct.