Question about Math requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Incitatus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems to be a dead even 50/50 split between the heathcare professionals in my normal circles as to whether or not I should proceed into calculus 2.

But there seems to be no clear answer as to whether I should take the big bad Calc 2 or not.
Some people are telling me it's good to have, others are telling me it's not a requirement and won't be usefull.

What do you good folks think? Is Calc 2 an important course to take for pre medical, or is it not really something I need?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't know if Calc 2 is good to take for premed. I took it because I needed it for my major (Bio). Its not that bad, I don't think it would hurt you.

It seems to be a dead even 50/50 split between the heathcare professionals in my normal circles as to weather or not I should proceed into calculus 2.

My degree path is a BS in Cellular and molecular biology, and I'm covering every pre-medical requirement in the process. I hope to ultimately go into oncology research.

But there seems to be no clear answer as to whether I should take the big bad Calc 2 or not.
Some people are telling me it's good to have, others are telling me it's not a requirement and won't be usefull.

What do you good folks think? Is Calc 2 an important course to take for pre medical, or is it not really something I need?

Calc2 is only required by Harvard, Duke and possible one other school as a premed course. If your heart is set on one of these schools then yes you must take it. If you don't dig on math and aren't going to be crushed not to be able to apply to these few schools then no you don't need it. If every other medschool in the country teaches medicine without it, it certainly can't be essential to the practice of medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are a few schools that require it, but most don't. Even the ones that do let you take it anytime before you matriculate. I skipped it because I knew I wouldn't do well, and because I wasn't interested in it. Do the stuff you're interested in and your app will come about from that. Don't do anything only to improve your application. You'll be miserable and it won't really help you in the long run. My vote is to not take it.

Unless you are absoloutely weak in math, in which case, you should avoid taking the course as you may run the risk of jeopardizing your cGPA, I dont think it hurts to ave that Calc II under your belt.
It will definitely leave you with more options.

but it's not an easy course. In my school, many ppl who have gotten A+ in Calc I have barely managed a B- in Calc II

It's not required. Take statistics, more and more schools are now strongly recommending it, and some are now requiring it.
Statistics is much more useful to the career than is Calculus II.

So the general concensus here is don't take it...
Anyone else have any input on the matter?

don't take it... and for the post that said it is required for duke... that's wrong... it's not... i checked

My major (chemistry) requires me to take math up to Calc 3. However, if I had the choice, I wouldn't waste my time or money going past Calc 1. I would think Calc 2 is required for your major (Cellular and molecular biology). Biology usually requires up to Calc 2, and Chem up to Calc 3. You probably need it.

I feel like if you're going to get a Bachelor in SCIENCE, you should at least take calc 2 - it's only integral calculus in single variable. I'm getting my Bachelor in ARTS and I'm a humanities/english lit major, but I'm taking Linear Algebra and Multivariable Calculus next quarter because I feel like you need to learn math beyond calculus if you want to be in the science field. Those differential equations will help when you're trying to model the growth of a tumor as a response to different molecular factors.