Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.

Question about May 15th traffic rule

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by fastfingers, May 11, 2012.

  1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. fastfingers

    fastfingers 5+ Year Member

    Jun 4, 2007
    Sorry, I'm a little bit confused here. On May 15th, am I suppose to withdraw all acceptance except one, AND also tell my one school that I will be attending that school? Or do I simply need to withdraw and its assumed if I didn't withdraw, I'd be attending. Also, I would tell that one school I'm attending even though I'm waiting on a waitlist right? So if I do get off a waitlist, would I just tell the school I told I would attend that I'm withdrawing?
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. alpinebrook

    alpinebrook 5+ Year Member

    Jun 24, 2011
    I'm pretty sure you don't need to deliberately tell the school you decided to "keep" that you are sticking with them. You just want to make sure that when they check out all of your acceptances after May 15th, they only see their name.

    And NO, you do NOT need to mention anything whatsoever about being on a wait list. That's your business entirely, not theirs.

    When / if you do get off the WL and decide to go to that school instead, yes, you pretty much immediately have to tell the other school that you are withdrawing.

    Hope this helps.
  4. LizzyM

    LizzyM the evil queen of numbers SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

    Mar 7, 2005

    Schools make that assumption and then get burned by an absent minded applicant who forgets to withdraw.
  5. Pattycake25

    Pattycake25 5+ Year Member

    Aug 3, 2011
    Everything LizzyM said (TELL THE SCHOOL YOU ARE ACCEPTING THEIR OFFER), with one addition. After June 1st, the school that has you on their waitlist will be made aware of your acceptance. I don't think it will hurt your chances of getting in off it (certainly not if you send them a letter of intent to matriculate there if accepted), but if they do decide to take you off the list, they'll send a headsup to your acceptance first. It will still be 100% your choice which school you attend, but both schools will be aware of the other's bid on you, so the second you make it, someone else will be snatched right off a WL.

    That information doesn't affect your course of action at all, nor your odds, but I thought it's an interesting tidbit. =P

    Edit: Are you sure you haven't already submitted a form declaring your intent, or received a form to do so? VTC sent me one that was either "Keep me" or "I withdraw", with them defaulting to the latter option if they haven't heard from you by May 15th.
  6. fastfingers

    fastfingers 5+ Year Member

    Jun 4, 2007
    I guess my confusion comes because after I got an acceptance, a school would ask if I accept or decline the offer of admission(I was given 2 weeks to reply). So if I had already accepted, it sounds like I have to tell them I accept again? ( I also had to pay a deposit and was told that if i withdraw before May 15th, my deposit would be refunded)
  7. hiyaman

    hiyaman 7+ Year Member

    Feb 5, 2010
    Why would you have to tell the school again that you accept? As long as they have your deposit your seat should be saved...

Share This Page