Question about MD/PHD applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hemichordate

Peds
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that if you get rejected from one of the two programs, you can't pursue this dual degree, but if you get rejected from MD, but get a separate acceptance from the PHD department, can you still pursue the PHD by itself?

Members don't see this ad.

I know that if you get rejected from one of the two programs, you can't pursue this dual degree, but if you get rejected from MD, but get a separate acceptance from the PHD department, can you still pursue the PHD by itself?

Schools may vary. My school has the PhD people look at the application first and if it is unacceptable, then it goes into a pile for consideration for admission to "MD only". It is rare for someone who has successfully jumped through the PhD hoops to be turned down by the MD program althoug it has happened. At that point, alas, it is too late to apply "PhD only" as that is a totally different pipeline. The MD/PhD program is filling so many seats and doesn't have jurisdiction over PhD only seats.

Ask each school if it is possible to apply to the PhD only program in the same cycle that you are under consideration for admission to the MD/PhD. Sometimes PhD is an application to the graduate school and MD/Phd is an application to the medical school.

As LizzyM said, it'll vary from school to school.
Most schools, or at least the 12 or so MD/PhD programs I applied to don't have you apply to the PhD program. Instead, one of two things happens. Either you apply to MD/PhD program. If you're rejected from that, your application gets sent to the MD only (not to PhD) program. Leaves you at a bit of a disadvantage because it takes time to be reviewed by the MDPhD program and if rejected, you are submitted to MD late.
The second is you are first accepted by the MD program. If accepted, you get sent to MDPhD program. If rejected by MDPhD, you still have an MD acceptance.

None of the programs I applied to have a "fall back" to PhD program. Then again, all the programs I applied to don't require GRE.

Your best bet is to check the schools MD/PhD website. It'll detail how the application process works.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies. I think in particular I was wondering about the programs that have you fill out both an MD and PHD application rather than just one. Since we can fill them out at different times, is it possible to get an MD interview and acceptance before you even complete the PHD application, even though you marked that you plan to apply MD/PHD?

At my school the interview/recruitment process for MD/PhD is much different than the MD only process. The MD/PhD applicants get the red carpet treatment, an overnight stay and, I think, a two day interview/tour process. Any application tagged MD/PhD goes into a different pool and is handled by a separate adcom.

So if you are applying MD/PhD you are going into a different pool than the MD only applicants and you'll be acted on and invited to interview (& offered admission) in a way tha is different from MD only. It just wouldn't be possible to end up holding the MD only offer of admisision with our system unless you'd already been turned down for interview by the MD/PhD committee.

I might be able to a bit more helpful if there is a specific school or set of schools.

For some schools, you can even apply regular MD and then transfer into the MDPhD program once you're a student.
Here are the schools I applied to:
Columbia
UCLA
Duke
Harvard
Johns Hopkins
Northwestern
Stanfod
UC- San francisco
UC- Davis
Univ. Colorado
Univ. IL
UPenn
UWashington
Cornell

For these, or at least the ones I've gotten secondaries from, you don't apply to the PhD program. Ever.
For some, as I said before, you're considered for the MSTP program. If rejected, you get turfed to the MD Only admissions. For others, your considered for MD first. IF accepted, you get sent to MSTP program.

For the latter, you get an MD acceptence before you are considered for MSTP. For the former, you are considered for MSTP and may be considered after rejection for MD only.

I'm new to SDN so I apologize if I should not be posting this question here. I am applying to the following schools:

University of Kansas
Saint Louis University
Loyola-Chicago
University of Illinois
Northwestern University
University of Nebraska
University of Texas - Houston
Baylor University
University of Utah
MC Georgia
Arkansas
MC Wisconsin
UT HSC San Antonio
Louisville
Washington University in St. Louis

Does anyone know where I can find a comprehensive database of information concerning the application process for these programs? I have an easier time finding information for MD-only programs. If this database does not exist, any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, if I am in the wrong thread, feel free to redirect me. Thanks.

I might be able to a bit more helpful if there is a specific school or set of schools.

For some schools, you can even apply regular MD and then transfer into the MDPhD program once you're a student.
Here are the schools I applied to:
Columbia
UCLA
Duke
Harvard
Johns Hopkins
Northwestern
Stanfod
UC- San francisco
UC- Davis
Univ. Colorado
Univ. IL
UPenn
UWashington
Cornell

For these, or at least the ones I've gotten secondaries from, you don't apply to the PhD program. Ever.
For some, as I said before, you're considered for the MSTP program. If rejected, you get turfed to the MD Only admissions. For others, your considered for MD first. IF accepted, you get sent to MSTP program.

For the latter, you get an MD acceptence before you are considered for MSTP. For the former, you are considered for MSTP and may be considered after rejection for MD only.

This post was VERY helpful. Could you break it down to which schools consider MD first and then the MD/PhD, and which ones consider you for MD/PhD and then if rejected to MD? Is it actually harmful to your MD application if you are first rejected to their MD/PhD?

And a more general question: if accepted, can you opt for only the MD? As in, if accepted MD/PhD, can you decide you only want to pursue the MD track?

Thanks so much!

If you go to the website of any of the programs you are interested in you will find a description of the application process and whether or not you are eligible for acceptance to MD-only if rejected from the MD/PhD track (I can't think of any programs that I have researched or applied to that allowed you an option of doing a PhD if rejected from MD/PhD)

This post was VERY helpful. Could you break it down to which schools consider MD first and then the MD/PhD, and which ones consider you for MD/PhD and then if rejected to MD? Is it actually harmful to your MD application if you are first rejected to their MD/PhD?

And a more general question: if accepted, can you opt for only the MD? As in, if accepted MD/PhD, can you decide you only want to pursue the MD track?

Thanks so much!

For your more general questions:
Most programs will look at your MD/PhD application first and then if rejected you'll be passed onto the MD-only track. This puts you at a disadvantage because this will often happen very late in the cycle so by the time the MD committee reviews your app you will have a tougher time getting an interview/acceptance. Some schools (I think HMS) will require you to gain MD-only acceptance before even reaching consideration for MD/PhD, again check program websites for specifics.

If you accepted to the MD/PhD program you can switch to MD only but you will lose your funding, and if you decide to do this after your first or second year you will often be required to pay tuition for the years you have completed.