Question about my EC's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Turkishking

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel like I'm trailing behind.

Here are my EC's

President of a club for 1 year

~145 hours clinical volunteering

About to a be a orientation leader for the hospital

Developed a hobbie, which is reading.

No shadowing, not much non-clinical volunteering.

What do you guys suggest I do?

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest you pick up some more ECs. You need more experienced than just the ones you posted . When are you planning on applying?

I suggest you pick up some more ECs. You need more experienced than just the ones you posted . When are you planning on applying?
Finished my freshman year. So I got a while but I need more things

Members don't see this ad :)
What are some EC's you recommend?

Oh! Getting started early on SDN I see lol alright well I would recommend being involved with one non-clinical volunteering for as long as you can (the longer the better). Also try to get involved with some research. Since you're just a freshman many labs would be willing to accept you. The longer you wait, the harder it gets since researchers want people who're gonna stick around (from my experience). Continue building on whatever you have going now. Try to maintain a leadership role throughout college. What kind of clinical experience do you have?

Oh! Getting started early on SDN I see lol alright well I would recommend being involved with one non-clinical volunteering for as long as you can (the longer the better). Also try to get involved with some research. Since you're just a freshman many labs would be willing to accept you. The longer you wait, the harder it gets since researchers want people who're gonna stick around (from my experience). Continue building on whatever you have going now. Try to maintain a leadership role throughout college. What kind of clinical experience do you have?
Just direct patient interaction at the hospital. I'm trying to accumulate 300 or more hours before I apply. I will be doing research next semester.

If you have the opportunity to get some sort of certification (such as EMT or CNA) then do it!

You're early into the process so don't worry. Get into a research lab this fall and try to do some more volunteering via clubs or service organizations.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

You're in a great place considering you just finished your freshman year. You're way ahead of where I was. Keep getting clinical experience! If you want hours quick, CNA or EMT can help if you do that for a summer. That's how I got my 300 clinical hours. CNA tends to be pretty well respected because it's hard and real up close and personal.

Try to find a research position if you can, especially if you're interested in the more research oriented schools. I got into mine my second semester of sophomore year and now I'm working there over the summer. Also if you have time, try to find some non clinical volunteering with disadvantaged populations (e.g. food pantries, homeless shelters, soup kitchens, mental health crisis centers). Not only does this show your compassion but it will teach you a lot.