Question about NS residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BONDFAN

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a 1st year med student interested in NS, I was curious as to the needed class rank and board scores typically necessary to secure a NS residency. Thnaks in advance for the input.

Members don't see this ad.

Our school does not rank the class so I have no idea. The average Step 1 score for those that match in the last few years is around 234.

Just do your best and apply...that's the only way you'll know. 88% of U.S. allopathic seniors matched this year so most that apply get a spot.

See the first thread in this forum for the match statistics. There is also an older thread that has a list of which people from which schools matched where (I'll bump it up) for the last several years. When I get a free moment I'll add this year's match class.

this question is for all those who went for neurosurgery (help from mpp especially would be greatly appreciated)

could you briefly delineate the process? i've looked at the sfmatch website, but i'm still kinda confused/curious

how many programs did you apply to?

do all the programs u apply to give interviews, or only some?

when are the interviews usually (ie what month)?

how soon after interviews do you send in your rank list?

iwantneurosurg said:
this question is for all those who went for neurosurgery (help from mpp especially would be greatly appreciated)

could you briefly delineate the process? i've looked at the sfmatch website, but i'm still kinda confused/curious

how many programs did you apply to?

do all the programs u apply to give interviews, or only some?

when are the interviews usually (ie what month)?

how soon after interviews do you send in your rank list?
You register for the match in June. I think this is $100 and gives you access to the full-version program directory. I would caution you that this directory is highly inaccurate with regard to the number of years the program is and number of positions offered. The best thing to do is follow the link to the program's actual website and do a little research.
Try to submit your application early, sometime in late July-early August is ideal with late August-early Sept. sufficient. Some programs list deadlines on the full-version directory, along with interview dates, which both can also be inaccurate. If you are concerned about a program's application deadline, I would call them directly to confirm.
When you submit your application, you submit a list of programs that receive your application. Last year's average number of programs applied to was 37 which I think has been steadily increasing. I personally applied to 20 programs because I was geographically selective. If you have even average grades and boards, I think 37 is way too many and many people on the interview trail felt like they applied to too many programs.
The number of interviews you are offered is dependent on many factors and sometimes seems purely random. I was offered 19 interviews and went on 14. In retrospect, 14 was probably a bit excessive and if had it to do over would go on 10-12. The majority of interviews are in November and December with a handful in October and a few in January.
Ranklists are due in mid-January and match results are released in late January.
Good luck!