Question about observation hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seherv

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I am currently an undergraduate freshman at UCF. I recently declared my major and decided that I will work towards becoming a physical therapist in the future.
I know that I have a lot of time, but I am trying to start doing some observations hours so that by the time that I have to apply, I will have a lot! But lately I've been wondering if that is even necessary?
First off, I would like to ask-- how should I keep track of my hours? Should I just create a spread sheet for each different setting and just log in the date, number of hours and get a signature from the PT each time I go? A lot of pt programs require "documentation from the facility". When I went to a facility and told them this, they said that THEY don't document anything and that I'm supposed to bring them a form or something.... So I was thinking of making a spread sheet? Ahhhh, it just doesn't seem "legit" enough!

I also don't really understand how exactly we send our observation hours to the pt programs... I know some of them require it through PTCAS. If this is so, then would it be silly for me to start now when I'm not even applying for another 3 years?

I plan on applying to a lot of different pt programs (UCF, UF, NYU, RU,etc..)
Please walk me through step-by-step of what YOU did when you were applying for PT school!
I just really need some guidance, haha. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You really don't need to worry about doing observation hours now. I'd only start now if I wasn't sure being a PT was what I really wanted. Everywhere I did hours they kept track of them. If they have you do it then a spreadsheet is fine, but I'd have the PT sign off on the hours. The amount of hours means nothing! Don't kill yourself trying to get 1000 hours. It won't help. The absolute best thing you can do is get hours in as many different settings as you can (acute, pediatrics, in patient, out patient, etc). When you do your PTCAS the site is easy to navigate and you only need to fill in the blank and the PT will verify it. Protect your GPA and work your butt off to get as many A's as you can. I'd shoot for a minimum 3.5. Before you apply make sure you research each program thoroughly. For instance, UCF heavily favors instate students. You have to be a Rhodes Scholar to get in from out of state. I missed that little detail when I applied and thus wasted some money. You want to make sure that you're a fit for a particular DPT program and that it is a fit for you. Since I'm a nontraditional student I avoided applying to schools that used Problem Based Learning exclusively. I prefer Standard Lecture. This may seem like a minute detail, but it can have a huge effect. If I were you I would also schedule a tour of some of the programs you would like to attend. It doesn't hurt to put your name on their radar. I would start with UCF. They are a good school. Take a tour and ask the Director what you need to do to be a strong candidate. Ask questions about their particular program also. Oh and dress for success! You shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but PT programs will :). The last thing I can think of off the top of my head is to absolutely, positively apply early. By early I mean have your stuff ready to go the first day the cycle opens. You'd be surprised how much of an effect applying early can have.

Reactions: 1 user
I kept a spreadsheet to keep track of my hours, the only place that logged my hours for me was a hospital, and I still kept my own records for that setting.

Not all programs require that the PT's verify your hours. By complete chance, I applied to a total of 7 schools, none of which required verified hours. It was actually pretty great because I was able to just skip that step in PTCAS.

If you do plan to start observing now (probably good for getting those inpatient hours out of the way), keep good records, and explain to the PT ahead of time that you will need the hours verified electronically down the road. At the end of your time there, exchange contact information, confirm again that you will need your hours verified, and make sure you guys are on the same page with how many hours you completed.

Members don't see this ad :)
In regards to when to start racking up observation hours, I would say the sooner the better. You can never have too much observation/volunteer hours on your DPT application, I would say. It shows you are serious about and truly invested in the profession when you show significant time investment.

I knew I wanted to do PT since graduating high school, but I didn't start volunteering and getting observation hours until my junior year. When I went to apply this past fall (my senior year), I didn't have enough hours to apply to some programs that I wanted to. Not a huge deal, but would have been nice to have more options. So in the end, it's really up to you and depends on the requirements of the schools you want to apply to.

When I started my PT volunteering, I met a fellow student volunteer. I asked what college he was attending, and he said he wasn't. He was in high school. Talk about feeling behind the curve.

There's no harm in starting observation now but in my opinion, go for quality over quantity. I'm a non-traditional student and I'm attending a program that requires 200 hours and I'm scrambling to get the rest done since I'm finishing pre-req classes and working part time. I applied to the program with 100 hours but still need those 100...I wish I had started observing when I discovered I wanted to become a PT 4 years ago.

As far as documentation, I keep track of my hours with a Google sheet and when I finish a setting, I ask for a letter from the PT on their company letterhead with a signature. That way, you have that documentation and when you're ready to apply via PTCAS, you can go back and get the electronic verification. Since some schools don't use PTCAS, it's better to have all bases covered. I would also keep a second Google sheet listing the PT's you observed along with their contact info so you have a good database you can easily reference when it's time to apply.

In regards to when to start racking up observation hours, I would say the sooner the better. You can never have too much observation/volunteer hours on your DPT application, I would say. It shows you are serious about and truly invested in the profession when you show significant time investment.

I knew I wanted to do PT since graduating high school, but I didn't start volunteering and getting observation hours until my junior year. When I went to apply this past fall (my senior year), I didn't have enough hours to apply to some programs that I wanted to. Not a huge deal, but would have been nice to have more options. So in the end, it's really up to you and depends on the requirements of the schools you want to apply to.

When I started my PT volunteering, I met a fellow student volunteer. I asked what college he was attending, and he said he wasn't. He was in high school. Talk about feeling behind the curve.
I have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. I've talked to several program directors and faculty and every single one has told me that the amount of hours means nothing to them. The amount of settings is what they look for.

Thank you all for your responses! It has definitely helped me clear up my head a bit.
Of courseeee, now I have another question.. lol
When making a spread sheet, I was thinking about just having "DATE" "SETTING" "HOURS" and "SIGNATURE" columns. But that would mean that I would print the blank sheet out and hand write it, then scan it on to my computer when the time comes... That doesn't seem very professional.
Any ideas about how I should set this up?
Should I just talk with a PT to plan a specific amount of hours and then just keep track of it every day, and have him sign it/verify it once it is fully completed?

No activities completed during high school can be reported on PT school applications, for the record.

@seherv, there are many, many, many threads about all things observation hours. Do a search of the pre-PT forums and you will find more than all the information you need.

Another quick question out of curiosity... To everyone, when did YOU start your observation hours and how many did you accumulate?

I started junior year and accumulated around 60, senior year 600 (internship), since graduating I have accumulated close to 120 hours. I kept a spreadsheet and when I apply I just call them up or send them an email. To echo what a few others have posted, the amount of hours isn't necessarily important. The variety of settings you observe in are much more important. If amount of hours were more important then all of us that do not work as physical therapy techs or aides would be at a huge disadvantage.

Another quick question out of curiosity... To everyone, when did YOU start your observation hours and how many did you accumulate?
I started the end of August (2014). This is after I graduated from college and I was absolutely sure PT school was my ideal career. I've acquired 20 hours in a geriatric/long-term care facility, 3 hours in a grade-school setting and I have acquired about 1,000 in an outpatient setting (I currently work for an outpatient clinic).

Thank you all for answering my questions!
I know that observation hours are crucial, but what about other volunteer hours? Did any of you join clubs/organizations at your school regarding your major, etc and participate in various volunteer events? I'm thinking that I don't have to actually spend time volunteering elsewhere, but I know a lot of people who are in a Physical Therapy club at my college, and they always do random volunteer events (even if it has nothing to do with PT settings).. Just wondering about this as well.

Thank you all for answering my questions!
I know that observation hours are crucial, but what about other volunteer hours? Did any of you join clubs/organizations at your school regarding your major, etc and participate in various volunteer events? I'm thinking that I don't have to actually spend time volunteering elsewhere, but I know a lot of people who are in a Physical Therapy club at my college, and they always do random volunteer events (even if it has nothing to do with PT settings).. Just wondering about this as well.

Join clubs, join honoraries, make friends. Though there was a PT club at my school, my interviews cared more about the more unique clubs I was in (student DJ, tour guide) - I held leadership roles, worked with students outside of my major, fostered professional skills, and overall showed that I could cohesively work with a diverse set of students. I'm not saying to shy away from a PT club by any means, it's a great resource! I'm just suggesting that you should also look into clubs that interest you as that will also help you during interviews. The advice I've heard from a few people are 'join one or two clubs to further you professionally and let the rest be stress relievers.' Just my two cents though!

Ohhhh, interesting. haha, I guess they really want to see diversity. Thanks for the advice!
What about regular volunteer hours? Did you do a lot of that? (Non-pt related volunteer work)

Ohhhh, interesting. haha, I guess they really want to see diversity. Thanks for the advice!
What about regular volunteer hours? Did you do a lot of that? (Non-pt related volunteer work)
Just to give another perspective, I didn't have any volunteer hours outside of the physical therapy scene. Mainly due to working part-time and finishing undergrad. I actually left my extracurricular section blank. From my results, it didn't seem to hinder me at all.

Reactions: 2 users
I have another question about observation hours... I had a connection with a PTA through a mutual friend, and I have shadowed her once and plan to do more. She works in a neuro pt clinic under supervision of PTs of course. Do observation hours under PTA's still count/look ok when applying to DPT programs? are they accepted on PTCAS? I know the individual programs may differ, which I will have to look up.