Question about participating in research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

atari13

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a non-US IMG who graduated this year and is done with Step 1 and CK with 250s in both and passed CS on the first attempt, and I have 2 LORs from US radiology faculty (and another 1 from non-radiology rotation) but I do not have any research experience.
1- I am particularly interested in neuroradiology/INR, and I am now in my home country and I will have a lot of free time in the next months till the match, and I would very much like to use this time doing research. So, is is it possible that any institution/faculty in the US agrees that I participate in research without being actually there? And how can I approach the attendings about this?
Because it seems like international flights will not resume any time soon, at least on my country's side.
2- In case I am unable to do research/have publications before the match, do you think I have a slim chance to match without research and I should wait until I have some publications, or should I apply to the match this year?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

77D9C383-1382-4D8F-A0A3-C427C4BEDABC.png

I’m in a similar situation as you are. Non US img, ECFMG certified, no pubs. According to this 2018 NRMP data, the main difference between non US IMGs that matched vrs unmatched were the step 1 score (241 vrs 232) and the average # of pubs (15.9 vrs 9.7). There’s no definitive answer to your question (I have the same question), but I guess that the best we can do is try to publish as much as we can before the match and apply hoping for the best.

View attachment 308882
I’m in a similar situation as you are. Non US img, ECFMG certified, no pubs. According to this 2018 NRMP data, the main difference between non US IMGs that matched vrs unmatched were the step 1 score (241 vrs 232) and the average # of pubs (15.9 vrs 9.7). There’s no definitive answer to your question (I have the same question), but I guess that the best we can do is try to publish as much as we can before the match and apply hoping for the best.

Remember, that 15.9 number youre seeing is NOT 15.9 publications, its abstracts, presentations as well. Like if I present a bogus poster at my school ran 'research day for M2s', that counts towards that number

Remember, that 15.9 number youre seeing is NOT 15.9 publications, its abstracts, presentations as well. Like if I present a bogus poster at my school ran 'research day for M2s', that counts towards that number
Thank you for this insight Cyrushubs, I was wondering how they’d gotten so many publications. So in your opinion, how important is it for a non-US img radiology applicant to have publications?