Question about paying back walgreens for educational assistance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lakester2001

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Hoping someone will have an answer. I have taken 2 years of location based scholarship. I am a P4. So that will require 2 years of working as a pharmacist.

If by some chance I quit working for Walgreens before I am licensed, when do I pay the money back

Right then or when I am officially licensed? Someone told me that it turns into a loan.

I would appreciate the feedback. I have already tried corporate, but havent gotten a response yet.

Members don't see this ad.

According to the terms of the agreement, if you do not begin work full time as a pharmacist within 6 months of graduation, the total amount becomes due immediately. Then it becomes a loan with 8% interest rate. So basically if you quit now, 6 months after graduation it becomes due

Ok, so if I was to quit for example tomorrow. Then it will be a loan until I become licensed and then will all be due then or 6 months after I am licensed?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, so if I was to quit for example tomorrow. Then it will be a loan until I become licensed and then will all be due then or 6 months after I am licensed?

I don't think you have to work for them after you've taken the money, as an intern, just pharmacist. You have to had worked for them in the past or current to get the money. I think that it's more of a loan anyway, than any kind of "scholarship" because you have to do something in return for the money.

So if you quit tomorrow, you still have the obligation to work for them as RPh within 6 months of graduating. I don't think it should matter if you continue to intern with them. They just care about when you finish school and go to that specific locale.

also, if you work for them for 720 days as an RPh, you still pay back 100% of the tuition assistance. Sneaky.

When you signed up for location based, did you have to immediately commit to a location? I know they have a huge list to choose from...can you switch where you want to go?

Ok,

Heres the deal I picked a specific district. The person who was the pharmacy supervisor pretty much insured me there would be a position in the specific town. So about 6 weeks ago, I got sent the application to fill out. Pretty much at that same time he left, and now a new supervisor.

She had told me about 3 weeks ago, there was a waiting list for a position. However, a friend of mine which is a P4, and hasnt taken any educational assistance put in an application like 2 weeks ago and recieved an offer like 2 days later.

So what I think is going on is she is trying to push me into moving to one of the other cities in the "location".

So thats why I am exploring the option of not working for Walgreens. I even talked to corporate (educational assistance people) and they couldnt believe that there was supposedly no positions.

So something crazy is going on, but it is being looked at by the higher ups. I hated going above her, but she seems a little shady.