Question About PCO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Grover3060

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
With the new Dean, Linda Casser, set to take over as dean to PCO in early January do you think this will be a good thing for the college or not. Will they struggle with transition and thus, should we avoid the school, or PCO good enough that if anything this will make it better?

Members don't see this ad.

With the new Dean, Linda Casser, set to take over as dean to PCO in early January do you think this will be a good thing for the college or not. Will they struggle with transition and thus, should we avoid the school, or PCO good enough that if anything this will make it better?

There will be no such thing as a "struggle with transition". PCO has one of the most established programs of all optometry schools and the new Dean will do exactly what the previous director has done as he moves to a position that'll additionally oversee the other three programs which were already added several years ago. This is a good sign since the college (now university) is expanding and growing in its influence in the health field. The addition of Dr. Casser is due to the change in the structure of the school's administration in becoming university status consisting of four colleges. Afterall, PCO still receives the most applications and offers a large number (if not most) of scholarships and externship sites to its students. g'luck w/ apps!

speaking about pco, how are the facilities and the area around the school?
i've heard great things about the eye institute, but i've also heard that it is in a rather sketchy area. is this true for the school and the surrounding areas as well? are there really good areas around the school that are a little bit aways? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
My cousin is a dental student at VCU, a well-established program that has been around for over a century. Due to the discontent with their new dean, many faculty members are leaving.

There COULD be issues with a transition... of course it's not necessarily going to have negative effects, but applicants SHOULD consider it. If the new dean has stated that s/he plans to uphold the current policies, then there probably isn't an issue.

speaking about pco, how are the facilities and the area around the school?
i've heard great things about the eye institute, but i've also heard that it is in a rather sketchy area. is this true for the school and the surrounding areas as well? are there really good areas around the school that are a little bit aways? Thanks!

The school itself is located in a safe upper-middle class neighborhood (reminds me of the movie home alone). The eye institute is on the outskirts of northeast philly (ghetto), so it's not that bad unless you choose to venture into the unknown. The teaching facilities at the school are impressive and up to date. The student center at PCO is definitely one of the best out there which includes a b-ball court, state of the art gym, rec center, study areas, etc etc.

The school itself is located in a safe upper-middle class neighborhood (reminds me of the movie home alone). The eye institute is on the outskirts of northeast philly (ghetto), so it's not that bad unless you choose to venture into the unknown. The teaching facilities at the school are impressive and up to date. The student center at PCO is definitely one of the best out there which includes a b-ball court, state of the art gym, rec center, study areas, etc etc.
sounds good. thanks!