Medical Question about personal statement -- how personal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoSpursGo

SDN Chief Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! Sorry to bother you again! I just have a question about the personal statement -- there is a lot of very deep introspection that plays into my answer to "Why Medicine?", and while everything I discuss in my personal statement maintains boundaries regarding specific details that could be considered too personal, it at times can be rather emotional in tone, and is a bit more philosophical rather than anecdotal. Truly very few anecdotes as it stands, but more so because I wanted to use the space to draw overall insights from my college and life experience, and how they relate to why I want to be a doctor.

My clinical mentors and professors have given me positive feedback in terms of writing, content, and authenticity, but they have advised me to consult with someone who is more familiar with the current medical education system, simply because it is a very vulnerable piece of writing. I've written a second version that answers the question authentically, but it is much less reflective, and doesn't really answer the question "Why Medicine?" in a way that is satisfactory to myself. I'm still very proud of what I wrote, but I fully recognize that such a level of introspection might not have a place here.

Any thoughts? Thank you so much!
Honestly this is vague to the point that I don't think we're going to be able to answer your question without additional information. But if you're getting feedback from multiple mentors that it might be too personal, it's probably too personal.

First, do no harm with your personal statement. The odds that a personal statement is going to get you an interview that you otherwise wouldn't have based on the rest of your app is very low, but it can definitely be off-putting enough to get you passed over. I'd settle for bland B- over ambitious and possibly off-putting, IMO.

Members don't see this ad.

doesn't really answer the question "Why Medicine?" in a way that is satisfactory to myself.

I always felt that way writing my PS. Remember your readers are for the most part science faculty. Keep it succinct and to the point yet insightful without being too wordy. That's always the tricky part and tbh it's best to listen to that advice that your readers are giving, especially ones who have "been through the system".

Hi all, thank you so much for your wonderful feedback. I have taken it into account, and have written a version, which I will re-visit later, that retains healthy boundaries, while still capturing my essence!

I also have another question, so long as you have the time and energy to answer!

I am hoping to apply to as many medical schools as possible that 1. Have a history of humbly and openly taking accountability for mistakes that the administration makes (in the vein of Stanford directly and immediately responding to the protests and anger regarding the whole COVID vaccine prioritization situation) and 2. Have as many opportunities for learning beyond classes + service experience as possible.
I will most certainly deep dive into this myself, but just wondering if any of you happen to know of any schools off the top of your head that are good at these two things?

Thank you so much for creating this space of guidance for all of us. We appreciate you greatly! I hope you all have as lovely and restful a weekend as possible!
Most schools have good opportunities to get involved with. This is something you need to put time into and do research yourself on.

Status
Not open for further replies.