Question about pharmacy graduate interns

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J Pharm D

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi - I'm currently residing in NJ and have a question about what being a graduate intern (post-grad, pre-licensure) would allow me to do.

To provide context, I'm currently on my APPEs at a specialty pharmacy that is looking to hire me post-grad. However, they want to know what basic functions I'd be independently allowed to perform prior to Naplex/licensure. (Would I be able to verify medications/review prior to dispensing without a pharmacist re-checking/re-verifying? Or would I essentially be doing the same intern/tech work that I do at my chain pharmacy?)

If you have any examples/experience, please do post!
And if there are any references to additional sources that'd be awesome too

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi - I'm currently residing in NJ and have a question about what being a graduate intern (post-grad, pre-licensure) would allow me to do.

To provide context, I'm currently on my APPEs at a specialty pharmacy that is looking to hire me post-grad. However, they want to know what basic functions I'd be independently allowed to perform prior to Naplex/licensure. (Would I be able to verify medications/review prior to dispensing without a pharmacist re-checking/re-verifying? Or would I essentially be doing the same intern/tech work that I do at my chain pharmacy?)

If you have any examples/experience, please do post!
And if there are any references to additional sources that'd be awesome too

Thanks
I don't think there's any state where being a graduate intern is different from being any other intern...except in states where grads can get a temporary license while awaiting test results, and I don't think NJ is one of those.

I don't think there's any state where being a graduate intern is different from being any other intern...except in states where grads can get a temporary license while awaiting test results, and I don't think NJ is one of those.

Oh I see, that makes sense... I wonder what the pay raise is for then... Altho I'm not complaining haha

Anecdotally speaking from experience, grad interns as a rule of thumb make half pharmacist pay. You cannot verify on your own or perform any pharmacist functions unless supervised by one with a license just a a pre-grad intern works. You can't run a pharmacy by yourself as just a grad intern (at least not legally from what I understand).

Reactions: 1 users