Question about pill splitting and missed doses.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crimson1566

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For splitting pills, it's just enteric coated, film coated and controlled release that can't be split right? Any others I missed?

For missed doses, if the insert doesn't say what to do is there anywhere you can look for info? We fill for nursing homes at my pharmacy and they screw up sometimes and miss doses. Stuff like BP meds are easy enough, if it's too close to the time you skip the dose, but what about seizure or antidepressant meds? Is there anywhere i can go for this info besides just me making a decision?

Members don't see this ad.

For splitting pills, it's just enteric coated, film coated and controlled release that can't be split right? Any others I missed?

For missed doses, if the insert doesn't say what to do is there anywhere you can look for info? We fill for nursing homes at my pharmacy and they screw up sometimes and miss doses. Stuff like BP meds are easy enough, if it's too close to the time you skip the dose, but what about seizure or antidepressant meds? Is there anywhere i can go for this info besides just me making a decision?

Well...you can split a film coated tablet - don't know why you'd want to but.....

You can't split "odd" shaped tablets reliably, nor can you open & pour out "just about half" the contents of a capsule. Try not to split ANY dose if you can help it.

Most drugs - antidepressants - are normally qd - take it as soon as you remember, but don't double the dose.

Antiseizure - if its for seizures...tough one - take it asap, but IMO, these folks are pretty rigorous in their regimens - they don't want a dose missed - much like parkinson's pts.

However, if the antiseizure is used for pain - gabapentin for example, just take it asap or at the next dosing interval.

For nursing homes...you should have the simplest regimen possible!