question about practicing in Ireland or the UK.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drpats

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a US citizen studying medicine in Poland. I will be graduating in 2 years.
I am interested in practicing in Ireland or the UK. With Ireland being my #1 choice. What steps do I need to take after I get my MD?
Are there any exams I need to take? Keep in mind, English is my first language and I have a degree from the EU. Does that exempt from any exam I would have to take?
Whatever information you can pass on would be very helpfull!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Leorl,

Is the internship in the last year of pre-graduation (as in Hungary where the internship is on the 6th year of general medecine) and only after comleting this rotations that we can do the hungarian state exam and obtain the diploma), the whole program is in english.

Since I want to do residency in Ireland, do I apply directly for residency and registration , or I have to applly for the internship and do it again???

Best regards
Really thankful for this website and for any help:)

Members don't see this ad :)
No. internship is post-graduation (first year out, like nearly everywhere else). If you need internship pre-graduation, that will likely not be recognized as they might not know how to handle that. I'd suggest contacting the medical council directly and asking.

the other question you have to ask yourself before deciding to practice in ireland is this: do you be a junior doctor for the rest of your life?

this of course is if you choose to practice hospital medicine.

GP is great in ireland(which makes is quite competitive).

But in a hospital setting, as it stands, there are only a limited number of consultant posts that has not really changed that much over the years. why you ask? the current consultants won't allow it. the result: poor public medicine. People waiting for out patient appointments that will not happen because there are not enough consultants. but i digress..

You are from the US as I understand. I suggest you at least get trained there, get your board certification in whatever, and then decide. There are countless docs in ireland who wish they would have gone to the US but never got their asses in gear with regards to steps etc...

Let me leave you with this one statistic that a current obgyn house officer in the rotunda hospital in ireland, and a good friend of mine told me( which he learned in a recent lecture). 50% of all registrars in ireland have been a registrar for the past 15 years or more.....do you know what you can do with 15 years of training in the states? probably be triple board certified.