Question about pre-req quality (CC v Uni v Online)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Johnrawlsneuro

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting my pre-reqs. Want to balance cost with practicality. Any idea how frowned upon taking these at a CC or online (ie - Science Prerequisites for Health Professions - online classes) is vs. at a brick and mortar 4 year for MD/DO? To what extent is the quality questioned or factored in?

Members don't see this ad.

4 year > CC > online

Check the MSAR. Most schools list whether or not the accept CC or online coursework. Many also note that they view CC or online coursework as less vigorous than university classes. As far as I know no DO schools care about CC credits. I'm not sure about online courses. I would say that it is more important to get A's if you go the CC route.

That being said. I took almost all of my pre-reqs at a CC for financial reasons and got in. I have no idea how it impacted my application at schools I didn't get in to.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I took 2 pre-reqs online, and the rest at uni. However, I checked ahead of time with the schools I was planning on applying to on whether or not they'd accept online prereqs. Some schools will accept them, but there is a limit. The schools I applied to all had a limit of 8 credits online.

Reactions: 1 user
As others have said, double check with MSAR for each school, but many accept CC credits now. That said, you should probably get an A in all your prerequisite classes you take at a CC. I took all but Orgo at a CC, and got two MD acceptances.