Question about pre-requisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scfan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, long time reader, first time poster.
I was just wondering if there is a math pre-req for most dental schools.
My pre-health advisor said that they generally have no requirements for math. I took that to mean that as long as I fulfilled my university gened requirement I would be good to go. I already have Calc A/B AP credit so I only need another semester of a quantitative course.

I guess I am just worried that I will get nailed for not taking calc in college and only taking a semester of math (i don't know which course I will take yet) when I apply for dental schools.
I live in Illinois so my first choice schools will be those that offer instate tuition.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I know that at minimum, for most schools, college algebra is required. Also, if math is an easy subject for you, take a couple other math classes to help your gpa! I'm pretty sure that the adcoms would like to see at least one other math class (trig/calc/stats). Upper level math would always look good too.

I guess it just depends on how risky you want to be. Do the minimum requirements for graduation and application to dental school, or go above and take more than you need to to make you a better candidate. You could always contact the school of interest and see if it would benefit you to have more than the required math classes for graduation.

Don't quote me on this, others please feel free to shed some light on this. But from my understanding and what I have read, and talked to others about, I don't think dental schools even acknowledge AP credits earned in high school. (if that is what your AP calc was from). Like I said though, I'm not entirely sure about this, so you may want to ask around. Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools require math, most don't. Even the ones that do, there is flexibility. I mean if you can get A's in physics and/or 19+ on the math section of DAT, then most schools will overlook it.

I didn't have enough English credits but every school so far has been willing to overlook it. One admissions officer even said "don't worry, I can vouch for your mastery of the English language". And another school after contacting me to point out that I was missing it, I was able to convince them by mentioning my RC score and asking them to read my personal statement, and saying all this in a nice well written email.

Check out the web sites of your target schools as pre-reqs should be listed. You can always call the schools too.