Question about premed classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GAYA1111

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m a health science major (actually double major) with a full load of science classes. But they are not exactly the standard premed classes. For instance I’ve taken A&P I&II with labs- is that good enough instead of biology? Or physiological chem. I&II with labs- is that good enough instead of gen chem.? I’ve taken one organic lecture with lab covered both orgo I&II. I also have a ton of bio-chem. classes under my belt as well as micro ect. Have any of you taken classes that were similar to the premed standards but not exact? I’ve talked with my advisor and a few other profs who have told me that phy chem. is almost identical to gen. Chem. Point being I’m trying to avoid taking more classes, as I will be graduating with 165 credits as it is.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

Check the MSAR for school requirements. It's usualy x numebr of hours in Bio, Chem, Organic, and Physics, maybe math. Some schools will let your classes count, otehrs won't. I think most would accept your chem requirement, but i don't think you can sub A&P for bio (just too different). You really do need some basic bio classes anyhow it seems to handle the higher level ones. If your organic class was 6 hours (i doubt it was) then that should count (don't forget also need lab). Anyhow, schools are all different, but I think you may end up having to take more classes.

GAYA1111 said:
I’m a health science major (actually double major) with a full load of science classes. But they are not exactly the standard premed classes. For instance I’ve taken A&P I&II with labs- is that good enough instead of biology? Or physiological chem. I&II with labs- is that good enough instead of gen chem.? I’ve taken one organic lecture with lab covered both orgo I&II. I also have a ton of bio-chem. classes under my belt as well as micro ect. Have any of you taken classes that were similar to the premed standards but not exact? I’ve talked with my advisor and a few other profs who have told me that phy chem. is almost identical to gen. Chem. Point being I’m trying to avoid taking more classes, as I will be graduating with 165 credits as it is.
Thanks in advance for any help.

-No, A&P will not count for biology.

You must have 2 semesters of GENERAL biology with lab
2 semesters of GENERAL chem with lab
2 semesters of GENERAL physics with lab
2 semesters of organic chem with lab

it is recommended that you also have physiology and genetics

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the quick reply. I really appreciate it. I’m currently taking my physics and calc requirements. There is no way to get around that. I was afraid my A&P wouldn’t make up for the bio. So bummed. And I guess I’ll just take org II/lab as well. Is it the evolution aspect of bio that makes it so important? I’ve heard bio was hard but A&P wasn’t a walk in the park either.

OSUdoc08 said:
-No, A&P will not count for biology.

You must have 2 semesters of GENERAL biology with lab
2 semesters of GENERAL chem with lab
2 semesters of GENERAL physics with lab
2 semesters of organic chem with lab

it is recommended that you also have physiology and genetics
Well I’ll assume the physiology is taken care of with A&P. I have three classes in genetics for my major anyway so that’s not a problem. Looks like summer school is in my future for my regular classes.

OSUdoc is right. Those AP credits don't count at all. I went to Michigan where first year or gen chem, which is usually 2 semesters, is combined into one. My fourth year I was told that I needed 1 more gen chem class, because even though it was equivalent, med school required 2 semesters. I got screwed and had to take physical chem and analytical chem lab, which kicked my ass when I should have been laying back. Make sure you fulfill each requirement, and don't count classes you've passed out of.

If I had to take one of these premed classes at a community college do you think that would look terrible? I’m not allowed to take my major classes at a community college and summer classes at my University are so expensive (well to me they are…around $800-900). I have a suspicion that it wouldn’t fly with med schools though.

GAYA1111 said:
Thanks for the quick reply. I really appreciate it. I’m currently taking my physics and calc requirements. There is no way to get around that. I was afraid my A&P wouldn’t make up for the bio. So bummed. And I guess I’ll just take org II/lab as well. Is it the evolution aspect of bio that makes it so important? I’ve heard bio was hard but A&P wasn’t a walk in the park either.

The only thing that can substitute general chem is inorganic chemistry and generally that requires taking gen chm first.

As per bio, the only thing that can replace that is zoology according to most med schools. Definitely not same as Anatomy and Physiology.

Organic, I would take the 2 semester sequences.

Math is dependent on the school.