Question about references and LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mtru6

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel as if PTCAS is using references and letters of recommendation interchangeably. I waived my rights of access to my references so I didn't get any specifics, but I was told from one reference that they were asked questions about my character, which is what a letter of recommendation would address. But are the references and the LOR separate? Is there a link to upload a LOR? I don't know what the email from PTCAS looks like so I feel blind when talking to my references about that section of the application.

Members don't see this ad.

The reference will receive an email with a link to the PTCAS reference site. The form has some basic questions about how they know you and what not. Then there is a list of attributes that your reference uses to rate you on a scale of 1-5 (it may have been 1-10 but I'm sure you get the picture). There is also a spot where they can leave a short narrative, but I believe this part is optional. One of my references gave me a quick peak at the form and I don't remember the exact details but that is the gist of it.

The reference will receive an email with a link to the PTCAS reference site. The form has some basic questions about how they know you and what not. Then there is a list of attributes that your reference uses to rate you on a scale of 1-5 (it may have been 1-10 but I'm sure you get the picture). There is also a spot where they can leave a short narrative, but I believe this part is optional. One of my references gave me a quick peak at the form and I don't remember the exact details but that is the gist of it.
Whaaaaaattttttt. A narrative is optional? So a LOR itself is also optional?

Members don't see this ad :)
Whaaaaaattttttt. A narrative is optional? So a LOR itself is also optional?
I take that back. I just checked with my reference and it's not exactly optional. He told me above the comments/letter area it says "Please comment on any of the ratings or provide any additional information that will help the admissions office in the application review process." I suppose one could interpret that as optional, but I would say it's strongly suggested.

Oh I see, thanks for clarifying! I never thought that could be interpreted as optional :D Those ratings are so impersonal.

Is the narrative considered a letter of recommendation then? For example Duke requires three references "Each applicant MUST submit at least one reference letter from a licensed physical therapist" etc. While Elon's requirements say, "Elon University requires 3 letters of recommendation: * 1 from a practicing physical therapist" etc. Is the narrative, letter of recommendation, and letter of reference all the same thing? I find this too ambiguous.

I am not too sure if the narrative is optional. We sometimes get them with 1 sentence in the narrative. You may want to ask the people you are asking for LOR if they would also be willing to write a real narrative rather than just check the boxes.