Question about references and LOR

Started by Mtru6
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Mtru6

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I feel as if PTCAS is using references and letters of recommendation interchangeably. I waived my rights of access to my references so I didn't get any specifics, but I was told from one reference that they were asked questions about my character, which is what a letter of recommendation would address. But are the references and the LOR separate? Is there a link to upload a LOR? I don't know what the email from PTCAS looks like so I feel blind when talking to my references about that section of the application.
 
The reference will receive an email with a link to the PTCAS reference site. The form has some basic questions about how they know you and what not. Then there is a list of attributes that your reference uses to rate you on a scale of 1-5 (it may have been 1-10 but I'm sure you get the picture). There is also a spot where they can leave a short narrative, but I believe this part is optional. One of my references gave me a quick peak at the form and I don't remember the exact details but that is the gist of it.
 
The reference will receive an email with a link to the PTCAS reference site. The form has some basic questions about how they know you and what not. Then there is a list of attributes that your reference uses to rate you on a scale of 1-5 (it may have been 1-10 but I'm sure you get the picture). There is also a spot where they can leave a short narrative, but I believe this part is optional. One of my references gave me a quick peak at the form and I don't remember the exact details but that is the gist of it.
Whaaaaaattttttt. A narrative is optional? So a LOR itself is also optional?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Whaaaaaattttttt. A narrative is optional? So a LOR itself is also optional?
I take that back. I just checked with my reference and it's not exactly optional. He told me above the comments/letter area it says "Please comment on any of the ratings or provide any additional information that will help the admissions office in the application review process." I suppose one could interpret that as optional, but I would say it's strongly suggested.
 
Oh I see, thanks for clarifying! I never thought that could be interpreted as optional 😀 Those ratings are so impersonal.
 
Is the narrative considered a letter of recommendation then? For example Duke requires three references "Each applicant MUST submit at least one reference letter from a licensed physical therapist" etc. While Elon's requirements say, "Elon University requires 3 letters of recommendation: * 1 from a practicing physical therapist" etc. Is the narrative, letter of recommendation, and letter of reference all the same thing? I find this too ambiguous.
 
The reference will receive an email with a link to the PTCAS reference site. The form has some basic questions about how they know you and what not. Then there is a list of attributes that your reference uses to rate you on a scale of 1-5 (it may have been 1-10 but I'm sure you get the picture). There is also a spot where they can leave a short narrative, but I believe this part is optional. One of my references gave me a quick peak at the form and I don't remember the exact details but that is the gist of it.


I am not too sure if the narrative is optional. We sometimes get them with 1 sentence in the narrative. You may want to ask the people you are asking for LOR if they would also be willing to write a real narrative rather than just check the boxes.