Question about research experience...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Originally posted by Chirurgien
I think big name schools mean nothing in the long term. Just like it doesn't matter where you went to undergrad, it also doesn't matter where you go to medical school. The important thing is to do well in the school you do attend and to enjoy it. I'd attend the school that accepted you and get started on your medical career already- there's a long road ahead of you and it doesn't pay to wait around for an unlikely big name acceptance. :thumbup:

Well, I do think it matters where you went to undergrad for med school admissions. I also think that where you go to med school matters for more competitive residencies. It's a recent revelation, but the big name schools are a lot better when it comes down to research.

Aight. If I get into either Cornell or UCLA, I prolly not reapply, but I think I'll still defer a year. I'm just getting into researching, but still, I learned a hell of a lot doing research for the past three months, and it seems like I'd learn a lot more if I take a year off and devote myself to do this research. I also feel like I'd be able to make more out of med school with this experience. Of course, I'm planning on pursuing this research in med school as well.

But the way it's going right now (with two recent rejections and waitlist from freakin einstein), I don't think I'll get into either cornell or ucla. Waitlist at best, but I prolly wouldn't even be on the top tier waitlist. So I definitely think it's worth it to take a couple of years off and reapply.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by kwanny
Well, I do think it matters where you went to undergrad for med school admissions. I also think that where you go to med school matters for more competitive residencies. It's a recent revelation, but the big name schools are a lot better when it comes down to research.

Aight. If I get into either Cornell or UCLA, I prolly not reapply, but I think I'll still defer a year. I'm just getting into researching, but still, I learned a hell of a lot doing research for the past three months, and it seems like I'd learn a lot more if I take a year off and devote myself to do this research. I also feel like I'd be able to make more out of med school with this experience. Of course, I'm planning on pursuing this research in med school as well.

But the way it's going right now (with two recent rejections and waitlist from freakin einstein), I don't think I'll get into either cornell or ucla. Waitlist at best, but I prolly wouldn't even be on the top tier waitlist. So I definitely think it's worth it to take a couple of years off and reapply.

Sounds good kwanny. I took 2 years to do research too and it's definately helped my app(got a publication and poster from it).

Good luck man.

Hi Kwanny,
Well first of all, congrats on everything you you have accomplished so far. Med school is a big decision, and I think defering a year will help you sort things out in your head. If you don't want to go to Case, don't go. That is ok - and you need to be happy at the place where you are spending the next 4 years of your life.

As to why you didn't get into your first few choices, I don't think it is because a lack of research. I recommend calling the schools that rejected you and ask them for a reason why. Tell them that you are trying to improve your application package for next year, and you would really appreciate an honest answer. Listen and be gracious, and truely consider what they say. 3.6 GPA is not bad, but its not that great. Med school applicants are nearly all above average and special in their own way. Next year, you need to make your essay and time away stand out. Wow them fast - application packages get minimal time examined before an initial choice to toss or keep is made. Also, if your interview skills could be improved, go practice! Most schools have career centers with mock interview sessions that are invaluable.

Finally, if you are very serious are one or two schools, go there, meet and interview the professors. Go work for a prof at that school and network! Build your reputation at that school over the next year doing research that you like. If you can't go there, email them, talk to them at conferences where they present, etc. Connections make all the difference, especially when there are so few slots and so many applicants.

Good luck whatever your endevear! Defering a year or two now in order to make the right decision will be worth it later on.

cheers,
alice

Kwanny,

I agree that Lack of research experience may not be the only thing. I mean it could be things like Letters of Rec (Although obviously I won't know for sure cause I'm not you).

If 1 or 2 schools reject you, then it could be because they're looking for research experience in applicants. But hearing all your recent news make me feel that it should be something else.

And whether you like Case Western or not in the next few months, try to goto their Second Look Weekend, and see if your mind will change.