Question about Research--Is it worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Juxxtaposition

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDNers!

I have a few questions to ask you.

I will be attending UC Berkeley next semester for my Freshmen year (Wooo!). Now, I live in LA, and was wondering what your opinion on this would be:

I am thinking about emailing a bunch of UCLA professors asking if I can be a part of their research lab over the summer. My question is, since I would only be doing this over the summer, would it be worth it for me both in context with Med School admissions and also in learning Lab Techniques, or would I just be cleaning glassware during the Summer?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Could you not instead try to apply for SMDEP? I would recommend that over random research. Some professors might be hesitant to also take you if you haven't taken basic lab courses (though this varies greatly)

I was thinking about SMDEP, but they require 2 recommendations, and I doubt that with the large lecture style classes at Berkeley that I will be able to get such a recommendation in my first year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello SDNers!

I have a few questions to ask you.

I will be attending UC Berkeley next semester for my Freshmen year (Wooo!). Now, I live in LA, and was wondering what your opinion on this would be:

I am thinking about emailing a bunch of UCLA professors asking if I can be a part of their research lab over the summer. My question is, since I would only be doing this over the summer, would it be worth it for me both in context with Med School admissions and also in learning Lab Techniques, or would I just be cleaning glassware during the Summer?

Thanks!

My thoughts:

1) Since you won't be a UCLA student in the fall, what incentive does a PI have to let you into his/her lab for a 12 weeks and then lose you to some other school? He or she will have to spend time training you and then have nothing to show for it by the time September comes around.

2) Also, you are a high school student. This will mean to many PIs that you would make a high-maintenance lab member who they would have to keep an eye on more than usual and who they would have guide/teach more than usual. You might have taken advanced classes in high school, but do you think you're prepared to understand advanced literature in your PI's field yet?

Also, no matter where you start working in lab, there will be some component of washing dishes so don't knock it. You have to start somewhere.

Overall, I applaud your interest in research. Try to get into a lab that interests you at Berkeley once you're there.

My thoughts:

1) Since you won't be a UCLA student in the fall, what incentive does a PI have to let you into his/her lab for a 12 weeks and then lose you to some other school? He or she will have to spend time training you and then have nothing to show for it by the time September comes around.

2) Also, you are a high school student. This will mean to many PIs that you would make a high-maintenance lab member who they would have to keep an eye on more than usual and who they would have guide/teach more than usual. You might have taken advanced classes in high school, but do you think you're prepared to understand advanced literature in your PI's field yet?

Also, no matter where you start working in lab, there will be some component of washing dishes so don't knock it. You have to start somewhere.

Overall, I applaud your interest in research. Try to get into a lab that interests you at Berkeley once you're there.

Thank you for your insight. :) I will probably find a lab at Berkeley.