question about residency out of state

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Farcus

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm still far from a residency, about to start P1, but from what I seen at http://www.natmatch.com/ashprmp/index.htm, all the out of state(i live in FL), require a "Pharm.D.degree eligibility for "specific state" licensure" so does this mean if i want to go to a residency out of Florida i need to first take an exam for another state's license test to even qualify for residency at that particular state? thats kind of ******ed.

Members don't see this ad.

i'm still far from a residency, about to start P1, but from what I seen at http://www.natmatch.com/ashprmp/index.htm, all the out of state(i live in FL), require a "Pharm.D.degree eligibility for "specific state" licensure" so does this mean if i want to go to a residency out of Florida i need to first take an exam for another state's license test to even qualify for residency at that particular state? thats kind of ******ed.

Why? The programs require you be a licensed pharmacist since you will be acting in that capacity. Each state has their own licensure requirements. Licensure exams are taken after you graduate...in which case you would know what state you need to take the exam since the match is in March.

Residencies only require you to be eligible for licensure in that state (meaning a PharmD and some intern hours on file). You don't need to actually have a license on July 1; most programs will give you 4-6 weeks to get licensed.

Why? The programs require you be a licensed pharmacist since you will be acting in that capacity. Each state has their own licensure requirements. Licensure exams are taken after you graduate...in which case you would know what state you need to take the exam since the match is in March.
Yeah. And don't use the word "******ed", it's rude. Mkay, thanks.

the_more_you_know2.jpg